Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smoother material system?

Hi Andrey,

One of the things I feel is not as good as it could be from a professional 3d users point of view is how blender handles materials, particularly when importing from other blend files and from obj's.

Firstly, when importing a blend file as an asset into a scene the default behaviour is to create duplicates of all the datablocks. So, if a file is pasted in and the materials or materials names already existing in the file, it creates duplicate with the suffix .001, .002 etc. i understand that this is a blender issue, but makes using blender a tiny bit more annoying than it should be. I have no idea where to request this on the blender site, but i would love to see a patch which allows the user to select from 3 options.

1. Create duplicates of datablocks for inserted items.
    2. Apply existing datablocks to inserted items using datablocks already in scene.
    3. Update datablocks within scene using datablocks attached to inserted items.

It would be good also if separate controls could be added so, for example materials follow one of the above options, and mesh data follows another. This would make updating asset within a scene much easier.

I don't know if this is mainly a blender thing, or if it would need to be part of the vrayblender patch, but it would help professional artists who insert datablocks into scenes. If i'm in the wrong place, where should i post this request?

Secondly, i was wondering if the the obj importer could be patched in vray blender so that when obj files are imported, the blender reads the .mtl file and sets up the textures and materials in a way that suits vray. Currently, the obj importer does a poor job at setting up materials and especially textures. It would be a very elegant solution if you could get vray materials properly working as soon as an obj is loaded into the scene, using the mtl parameters.

Finally, i'd just like to say thanks for all your work, and hope you like my ideas, i think better automation of professional 3d assets would really make vray blender a more attractive option for 3d artists.

Thanks for all the hard work Andrey, i rely on this project every day!

Rob

I think this is the way blender handle datablocks.
    Maybe this addon could help:
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Ex...atablock_Tools
    architect at oona

Comment

Thougt so.....

Look like i need to find a way to as the blender devs the question, i imagine thats not so simple.

I already have that add on, but was hoping the problem could be avoided so as not even to need the addon. I still think that if the vray blender build could set up vray materials and textures on import this would be really awesome though.

Ill look into this further...

Comment

I often work with OBJ. Files created in different applications in different ways exported to Blender. If you are associated with one specific package and you need to export tens or hundreds of models , we can write micro- script that will perform routine operations .
        You can also try other formats (DAE, FBX, etc )

Now Andrew is working on important things , this will affect the materials and very strong. Then you can do a good export materials. We have already experimented with this , I think it will be very interesting. Although it is too early to tell .

Comment

Perhaps I could write a small addon for re'export. MTL
          We would have something like this:
          - Allocate material
          - Run the script
          - Specify the file. MTL
          - Script recreate V-Ray material

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I agree , with nodes etc in the pipeline, this would only be a temporary solution and would need updating to suit changes about to happen....

Since the existing obj/mtl importer creates the materials using names given in the mtl file, perhaps a script could iterate through all existing materials and redefine all parameters and texture assignments which work properly with Vray.

I don't have the knowledge to write scripts, but i want to learn how, as i used to play with programming games in BASIC as a kid, but never got far with it. I can see a huge reason to learn python in blender but Ive not got much time....

Any way i can help though, let me know.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X