• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayDirt from angle instead of distance - aka Cavity Shader

Hi guys,
    I have a feature improvement proposal for VrayDirt:

From Vray Official Guide:
    The VRayDirt is a texture map that can be used to simulate a variety of effects, for example dirt around the crevices of an object, or to produce an ambient occlusion pass.
    But in some cases, dirt controlled by distance between faces doesn't work well.
    With thin surfaces you have to use very low 'Dirt Radius values or all would be filled by the occluded color - As a workaround for this cases, you have to create two materials, one for regular dirt, and another for dirt in thin surfaces.

Would be have an option to VrayDirt being controlled by the face angle, instead of face distance. This would prevent weird full occluded faces in thin surfaces.
    Today, as a workaround, you can do it via vertex color. Blender has a feature called "Dirty Vertex Colors" inside Vertex Paint mode, and use this with Vray Vertex Color texture type.
    The problem of this method is that you have to subdivide you model many times to have enough vertices for it.

Sample file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/cavity.blend
    architect at oona

Well, why not mix 2 dirts - one as is and one inverted?
    Here is a example - my version in the middle:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	851361
    Nice infographics btw =)
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Well, why not mix 2 dirts - one as is and one inverted?
      I've already tried it.
      But if I use AO inverted with a very low radius (to avoid thin surfaces get completely occluded) the result looks too sharp like edge coloring.
      architect at oona

Comment

Working...
      X