export beveled curve to proxy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• export beveled curve to proxy?

Is there any way currently to export a beveled curve to a vray proxy? My specific interest is to export a tree curve (sapling plugin) that has been animated and has beveled faces into a vray proxy. I don't know of a way to convert the curve to a mesh without losing the animation (My Blender skills are not the most comprehensive :P ). I'd be glad for some advice either in converting to a mesh in Blender or if there's some way to make the curve into an animated proxy. I've attached a simple example.

Additionally - is there a way to generate a proxy for multiple meshes, or is it just one mesh at a time? (Don't know if this question needs its own separate thread.)

Thanks!

Andy
    Attached Files

Thanks for the report!

1. Curves: missing panels added.
    2. Animation: there is a checkbox "Animation" in proxy generation settings to generate animated proxy.
    3. Multiple objects: Just select multiple objects and press "Generate proxy", but it will generate multiple output files (per object).
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info and the update
      Some reports:

1. I tried the curves, and after I select "Create proxy", it seems to generate fine, but when I go to load the proxy - I get an error:

TypeError: expected 'Mesh' type found 'Curve' instead
      bm.to_mesh(context.object.data)
      File "C:\Program Files\ ...\vb25\render_ops.py", line 751, in execute

2. Yes, I was using the animation option - that part works fine.

3. OK, so multiple objects make multiple proxies. One thing I was also having an issue with is that using the "replace" option when generating the proxy did not result in loading the preview mesh, it only loaded a cube. If I click "Load Preview Mesh" then I get the preview geometry, but I thought "replace" should do that automatically.

Comment

sorry - more info on the "replace" option issue. Seems to be a path error - here is the error message I get after generating the proxy:

ValueError: path is on mount 'Z:', start on mount 'E:'
        raise ValueError(error)
        File "C:\Program Files\vb...\python\lib\ntpath.py", ;ine 622, in relpath
        return "//" + _os.path.relpath(path,start)

Seems that it's because my .blend file I'm working on is local (E: drive) but I am saving my proxies to a network location (Z: drive)
        I then have to manually locate the proxy file and then click the "Load Preview Mesh" to get the proxy to show up.

Comment

1. It's an issue with "Replace" mode, try "New Object" mode, will fix tomorrow.
          3. May be it should, but now this is how it works, pretty easy to fix anyway.
          Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
            1. It's an issue with "Replace" mode, try "New Object" mode, will fix tomorrow.
            OK, New Object seems to generate the proxy fine. I still get the path error and proxy link doesn't show up.

3. May be it should, but now this is how it works, pretty easy to fix anyway.
            OK, a wishlist item then

Comment

oh noes! not rendering with this last exporter update. Says "Exporter error! Check system console!"

See console screengrab attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

It's because you are on -dev- version, I've added some new API there. I'll upload new build today.
                Checking what's with paths....
                Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
                  It's because you are on -dev- version, I've added some new API there. I'll upload new build today.
                  Oh. So I should only be doing "update exporter" with the master branch? Updates to dev are only on nightlies?

Comment

So I should only be doing "update exporter" with the master branch?
                    You could do it on both branches. I'm just constantly improving -dev- build and sometimes "Update exporter" is not enougth and you also have to update the build itself.
                    New build is uploaded, please try it.

About paths - can't reproduce it. Could you create a simplified scene for me?
                    Last edited by bdancer; 01-04-2014, 04:16 AM.
                    Support Request

Comment

OK, I see, the Blender build is another variable, not just the exporter... I'll grab that updated one now.

You can use the scene in the first post, just create the proxy on a different drive letter than the one the blender file is opened on (not relative paths, that's working fine.)

Comment

Aha, got it. It's because it always tries to store relative path to the asset. Thanks fixed.
                        Support Request

Comment

Great! Is this something I can update the exporter for? Or will it mess up the dev install again?

Comment

Now it should be safe to update just the exporter.
                            Support Request

Comment

OK, loading the proxy works fine now. I am getting the error again though about "TypeError: expected 'Mesh' type found 'Curve' instead" and then proxy doesn't load.

Comment

Working...
                              X