Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample Scenes?

Hi everyone,

Is there any resource for Blender for Vray sample scenes? One thing that was a HUGE help in initially learning Vray was being able to find sample 3ds max with Vray scenes and examine different parts of the scene. I haven't been able to find a resource like that for blender for v-ray scenes. It would be super handy to see EXACTLY how a v-ray for blender scene was set up.

In particular, I have been spinning my wheels for a long time trying to create interior renders with good lighting. It would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful if I had a scene with lighting done right that I could examine for lighting settings, render settings, etc to see what I'm doing wrong. Not sure if it taboo to ask for this (I wouldnt think so??).

Thanks all!

I know there have been some scene files posted in this forum. I've certainly benefited from these, also, lots of node setup screenshots have been helpful. Unfortunately, they are scattered throughout this subforum, and a lot of them may be out of date. The most up to date info is the help docs https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ck+Start+Guide but that doesn't exactly help with what you're asking.

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to include some basic scene templates in the Vray for Blender install. The default scene is pretty useless out of the box.

Not sure how willing or not people might be to share their setups, since there are so many ways things could be done. I actually don't have an interiors setup with the current vray 3. If I have a chance, I'll update one of my old version 2.5 (non-nodes) to the current version and post that here.

Andy

Comment

I would very much appreciate an interior setup done right to examine! And as I increase my skills with v-ray I would love to have a place to put my own scenes to contribute; would be nice if there was an organized area to contribute different scenarios as done in V-ray for Blender. A place that isn't cluttered with non-vray contributions like blendswap or something.

The documentation is definitely helpful and has come a long way. I guess I'll have to extrapolate from 3ds max scenes and figure things out manually until there is a solid area for examples done on the Blender side.

Comment

I've shared a scene file with a reasonable interior setup, hope this helps: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2-packed.blend

Comment

Thank you so much for this!! This is exactly the kind of file I was hoping for. I am definitely already seeing things I should probably modify in my own scenes to get a better result.

One thing i was wondering is how did you get all of this information in your Render Layers tab? Mine does not look like this at all. Do you usually get your blender version from the Nightlies builds? That's where I usually get mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrayrenderlayers.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	862983

Also is there any reason the scene is 1 big object? Is that common practice or is that just a byproduct of getting this scene up and running quickly? I dont understand how you were able to apply different materials to different objects despite everything being 1 object.

And thank you SOOO much again for this. I am looking forward to dissecting this to see where I can improve my own scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by GarbageDweller View Post
            Thank you so much for this!! This is exactly the kind of file I was hoping for. I am definitely already seeing things I should probably modify in my own scenes to get a better result.
            You're welcome!
            One thing i was wondering is how did you get all of this information in your Render Layers tab? Mine does not look like this at all. Do you usually get your blender version from the Nightlies builds? That's where I usually get mine.
            It should automatically be there in that tab when you have Vray selected for the rendering. Yes, I use the nightlies. Sometimes some things are broken and I have to go back. For example, I'm using an April build for converting Blender materials to Vray nodes since that's broken in the recent builds. (I just have it installed on one of my render nodes, since I need the more current builds on my main machine for the denoiser.)

Also is there any reason the scene is 1 big object? Is that common practice or is that just a byproduct of getting this scene up and running quickly? I dont understand how you were able to apply different materials to different objects despite everything being 1 object.

And thank you SOOO much again for this. I am looking forward to dissecting this to see where I can improve my own scenes.
            My workflow is that I model things in Sketchup and export as an .obj file. There is an option when you import a mesh to either "split" (default) or "keep vert order". I use the keep vert order option to combine the mesh all as one piece. Makes life a lot easier when I'm navigating the scene tree. If I want to split out some part of the model, I can just duplicate the mesh. In the mesh, you can select similar by material, then erase out the duplicate parts from one, and the inverse selection from the other. The material assignment is automatic when you import the multi material obj, I don't have to do anything but convert the scene materials to the vray nodes.

Then for some certain materials, I'll grab an already set up node tree from a previous file and append into my current file.

If you're starting from scratch, you can add materials to an object as much as you want. There is a plus and minus sign next to the material window where you can add or delete materials slots for an object. When you have a new empty slot, there's a "new" button underneath to add a new material. When you edit the mesh, you can select faces and in the material window you can select the material you want to add to the faces and select "assign". Hope that's the info you needed, or maybe there was some other point where you got stuck?

Comment

Ahhhh! Okay I have figured out what I was overlooking. There were nested options I just didnt have expanded to see additional settings in the "Render Layers" tab so I thought I was missing features. I think everything appears to be in order there...

I had a hunch this file was imported from another program when i saw the 1 big object but I wasn't sure. Definitely cleared things up there! I guess for now I'm just wondering how you append a nodetree? Do you have to import an object from another Blender file with the nodes and they come along for the ride? Or is there a way to cleanly import *just* a node tree? Other than that, I will have to dig through your file some more before I have anymore to ask.

And thank you again
              Attached Files

Comment

oops, ignore those screenshots by the way. I forgot to take them out when i realized what the problem was,lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GarbageDweller View Post
                  for now I'm just wondering how you append a nodetree? Do you have to import an object from another Blender file with the nodes and they come along for the ride? Or is there a way to cleanly import *just* a node tree?
                  Yes. In the append dialogue - when you open another blender file, it will show up as a library of all the different pieces in the scene. Just browse the "nodetree" folder and all the available nodes will be in there. I guess I've just been importing "materials" out of habit. Once you use the append command - it should be pretty clear, it's just basically a library browser.

You're most welcome! Glad to have more Vray users interested in Vray for Blender!

Comment

Working...
                  X