Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

denoiser - can you hide some objects from denoiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denoiser - can you hide some objects from denoiser?

Is there a way to "hide" something from the denoiser so the geometry doesn't interfere with the denoising. I am thinking specifically about windows, where the geometry outside of the window is blurred because the denoiser doesn't have the normals information. Can the window panes be excluded somehow from the denoiser calculation?

I'm finding the denoiser with "all channels" takes as long or longer to denoise than if I was just turning up the min subdivs. "RGB only" is pretty quick, but obviously has issues with reflections and refractions.

Thanks,

Andy
    Attached Files

Just keep Mode - Separate Channel in Denoiser BOX, and make some mask in Photoshop between RGB layer and denoiser layer, than you will achieve some elements without denoiser.

Comment

Issue is that the separate channels takes a whole lot longer. I'm trying to adjust my settings to achieve a decent framerate, and denoising each channel just blows up my render times. It's faster to render with higher min. subdivs than the added time it takes to denoise all channels.

Not sure I want to deal with masking with an animation. Though I might have to since lens effects doesn't seem to work with denoiser. (Though I maybe need to update standalone - that issue may be fixed since the last month or so since I've updated.)

Comment

Originally posted by kontrolermpl View Post
        Just keep Mode - Separate Channel in Denoiser BOX, and make some mask in Photoshop between RGB layer and denoiser layer, than you will achieve some elements without denoiser.
        I misunderstood - yes, I already use separate channel, I just would rather not deal with masking with an animation. Though it may end up being worth my time to plug this all into after effects and do just that. The other thing is that I may simply turn off my glass geometry, but then I miss the glass reflections. Oh well, gotta think on this some more.

Comment

You could try setting the "Affect channels" for the refractions in the glass material to "All channels" - then the glass will propagate the render elements that the denoiser needs in order to keep the details.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, thanks for the pointer! Ah, of course, denoiser uses other channels. I've changed the glass refraction to all channels and now it's doing what I want it to do. Much appreciated!

Comment

I've been wondering how to accomplish this. I will need to try this in the MODO version and see if it works. Thanks kontrolermpl!

Comment

Working...
              X