Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real time map preview in the viewport,How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real time map preview in the viewport,How?

Hi
    I came from Vray for Sketchup, I am not quite familiar with Vray for Blender. Sorry for my newbie question.

Just can't figure out any way to make node texture preview faster.

For example,I setup a falloff texture,and have to wait for a quite long time to see how it is working. And it seems to autosave in the VFB history?

Another question is, there are 2 color correct texture and 1 color correction texture, which one should I work with? It seems that both 3 texture not working?(I can't figure out how to change hue like cycle color ramp does)

Thank you very much for viewing.
    Last edited by Shiyan lin; 26-04-2017, 11:59 PM.

Hi Shiyan lin,

What are your computer specs? The preview can take a while on slower computers.

Originally posted by Shiyan lin View Post
    Another question is, there are 2 color correct texture and 1 color correction texture, which one should I work with? It seems that both 3 texture not working?(I can't figure out how to change hue like cycle color ramp does)
    I've always just used the first color correct node. The trick there is you have to enable one of the options, I usually use HSL mode.

Andy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by andybot_cg; 27-04-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Hi,Andy Thank you very much for sharing the trick here.

PC spec: CPU: Ryzen 1700X GPU: GTX 660 Vray Version:
      V-Ray Standalone 3.5.04
      VB 35-2.78-583e9f0-x86_64

I tried to tick off re-export meshes but doesn't work.It takes about 1min to see material preview update.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiyan lin View Post
        Hi,Andy Thank you very much for sharing the trick here.

PC spec: CPU: Ryzen 1700X GPU: GTX 660 Vray Version:
        V-Ray Standalone 3.5.04
        VB 35-2.78-583e9f0-x86_64

I tried to tick off re-export meshes but doesn't work.It takes about 1min to see material preview update.
        You're welcome!

Yeah, 1 minute seems way too long for those specs. Can you share a blend file, maybe there's something in the setup that's missing or broken. I know if there's some path missing or some connection is not working, it can take a while for vray to figure out that it can't use that asset.

Comment

Andy:

Yes, maybe I left too many unused nodes caused this issure? Not quite sure!

I'll be really appreciate that you can check out that file, point out what I'm doing wrong.

It is really nice that you are here to give me some help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8u9sfqr8q...oom.blend?dl=0

Comment

Hi Shiyan lin,

I took a look at the file, and a lot of the textures were not packed with the file. I looked through and replaced files missing with ones from my library just to test the scene. If you go to the menu item "File --> External Data --> Report missing files" you will see in the system console a list of all the files that are not linked in your scene. Is there a specific material preview is taking a long time? I didn't notice any issues as I was working with the file.

I saw there was also a material with displacement, so that may cause delays when you are doing a preview.

One more note: the bump and normal inputs in the standard material do not seem to be working currently. You need to add a Bump material in your node setup to have bump working. Also, only the output and color seem to work with the bump node, intensity output does not.

Andy
            Attached Files

Comment

Your info really helps me a lot,I am appreciate.

Since there are not enough information about the known issue of exporter and Vraystd ,I will keep an eye on our forum.

I'm a CG newbie trying to start with blender.

One of the reason I stick with Vray ,besides awesome dev team dedicated to bring us cool stuff, just because there always have people willing to help a poor newbie like me.

Thank you very much.

Comment

@Shiyan I went trough the scene's materials and all previews seem to render reasonably fast for me. Though the preview currently uses export to .vrscene and standalone to render the image, so it is not optimal. Also Re-Export meshes should not affect preview scene. If you have slow previews, can you open the blender console (Window -> Toggle System Console) and copy what is the output.

@Andy MtlBump and the bump from Standard Material (BRDFBump) had different defaults for Bump Amount Texture, so maybe this was the problem? I have updated the default for BRDFBump in the python code (you can update exporter).

Comment

Hi

I rebuilt everything from scratch (model and texture )again and preview speed improve significantly, but just not so fluently as other platform(sometimes I had to resize the preview window to make it update).
                  In fact,I couldn't open preview roll out when editing material,cos that might caused temporary no-response to Blender UI

Comment

oops, user error, both Vray mtl and Standard are working fine (and looks like the fix in the defaults gets me the same result for both.) I had mistakenly plugged in intensity output into the color slot.

Originally posted by poseidon4o View Post
                    @Andy MtlBump and the bump from Standard Material (BRDFBump) had different defaults for Bump Amount Texture, so maybe this was the problem? I have updated the default for BRDFBump in the python code (you can update exporter).
                    Originally posted by andybot_cg View Post
                    One more note: the bump and normal inputs in the standard material do not seem to be working currently. You need to add a Bump material in your node setup to have bump working. Also, only the output and color seem to work with the bump node, intensity output does not.

Comment

Working...
                    X