Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about VRay 3.6 features

Hi!

Not to be pushy, but I was just curious to know if the new VRay 3.6 features will be usable in VRay Blender anytime soon, especially the Hybrid CPU-GPU rendering and Cryptomatte. Thanks and keep up the great work!

1. For Hybrid CPU-GPU use ocldeviceselect.exe.
    2. This could be implemented.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Thanks!

I have opened the ocldeviceselect.exe and set both CPU and GPU to be used, but I have tested to see what happens when I use GPU rendering in VRay Blender and I still get "out of memory errors". My videocard has 2GB Ram and the CPU is using 32GB Ram so it appears as if it is only trying to use the video card memory still. I will look in other posts of the forum for more info on how to set this up correctly.

Looking forward to the cryptomatte render channel implementation, that would be a big time saver Thanks again

Comment

A bit confused what ocldeviceselet.exe program to use, I have three of them in following folders:
        Chaos Group\V-Ray\Standalone for x64\bin\x64
        Chaos Group\V-Ray\Standalone for x64\bin\x64\vc11
        Chaos Group\V-Ray\VRayZmqServer\appsdk

I tested using vc11 folder program but all three rendertimes were the same, gpu, gpu+cpu, cpu. Blender side Render > device: Gpu
        Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Hey JuhaW,

I used the one in "Chaos Group\V-Ray\Standalone for x64\bin\x64\vc11". Hybrid CPU-GPU rendering is a new feature in V-Ray 3.6, so I doubt it would work if you're still using 3.57. Anyway, in my case I'm still limited by the VRam of my graphics card which is only 2GB, so I'll have to test it on a smaller scene than the one I'm currently working on to see if there is any difference in rendertime for me. I'm also using a recent nightly that came out after the release of 3.6, which may also be something to consider when you do your tests.

Good luck!

Comment

I forgot to update my signature, I'm using official V-Ray Standalone v3.6
            Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Im planning of bying a new computer mainly for 3d rendering work. Is GPU+CPU rendering faster thatn GPU CUDA renderin? Can GPU+CPU rendering be used with any GPU? Im thinking of buying Nvidia 1080 or 1080 Ti or 1070. Does CPU+GPU rendering work with those? Or isit even dependable of the hardware? Im sorry for maybe stupid questions.
              Thanks,
              -J

Comment

Andrei, any news ov Vray RT for blender?
                Windows 10 Pro, 2x GTX 1070, AMD Ryzen7 1800X, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, V-Ray Standalone/Blender, V-Ray 3 for Sketchup, V-Ray 3 for Modo

Comment

Originally posted by jkontiola View Post
                  Im planning of bying a new computer mainly for 3d rendering work. Is GPU+CPU rendering faster thatn GPU CUDA renderin? Can GPU+CPU rendering be used with any GPU? Im thinking of buying Nvidia 1080 or 1080 Ti or 1070. Does CPU+GPU rendering work with those? Or isit even dependable of the hardware? Im sorry for maybe stupid questions.
                  Thanks,
                  -J
                  According to the New Features videos by Chaos group about the 3.6 Hybrid rendering (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1MkuflH3M), you have to use an NVidia graphics card if you want CPU + GPU rendering, since it uses what they call NVLink to share the data between the GPU and the CPU.

The cards you mention should be good, but what I have seen is that the maximum scene size that you will be able to render with Hybrid rendering (just like GPU only rendering) will still be limited by your card's VRam (it seams that it doesn't use the RAM of your computer to process the scene memory) although if you have more than one NVidia card they will automatically share memory as long as you enable them both through the "ocldeviceselect.exe". This means if i. e. you have two NVidia cards with 3GB of VRam enabled, you will be able to render a scene that is up to 6GB in memory. In other words, the amount of VRam you have in your graphics card or cards is key.

I haven't done serious tests yet but when I have a chance I might post my findings as to whether the rendertime is faster, but it's what they claim in the first place so the whole idea is that it is (or should be if we VRay blender users can set it up correctly ).

Comment

Working...
                  X