Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement

Hi,

I'm having shading artifacts with the default displacement settings, it seems that normals smoothing isn't applied at the subdivision level :

Click image for larger version

Name:	disp_01.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	1094179

Name:	disp_02.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	1094180

Material is applied on a low poly sphere, without Subdivision options. Below are the settings :

Name:	disp_30.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1094181

Attached Files

I've found the culprit, it is the inverted normal map.

Name:	displacement_normalmap.gif
Views:	402
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1094200

This gives some weight to my other post : it would be really useful to have some settings in the Bump tab related to color channels since Cinema 4D doesn't give any efficient option.

Comment

Hi,

I've made more tests on the final release and the bug is still here. Doesn't seems tied to normal map orientation since it works as expected in CPU, just normal map in GPU mode ( CUDA and RTX ).

CPU

Click image for larger version  Name:	disp_bug.jpg Views:	7 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	1096208

GPU CUDA and RTX ( no other change than switching the render engine )

Click image for larger version  Name:	disp_bug_02.jpg Views:	7 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	1096209
      Last edited by John_Do; 17-12-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Do you think you could fix this bug as soon as possible please ? It makes the Displacement unusable in GPU mode and it's not a V-ray core issue since it works as expected in other plugins.

( I've checked it in V-Ray Next for Modo )

Comment

Hi John_Do, this seems like a bug on our side. We will investigate further and will let you know when there is more information for the fix.
          Deyan Hadzhiev
          Developer
          chaos.com

Comment

Thanks for the fast feedback !

Comment

Hi John_Do, do you have enabled the cache normals in all cases when the problem is observed? It might be best if you provide a scene.

It makes the Displacement unusable in GPU mode and it's not a V-ray core issue since it works as expected in other plugins.
              Cinema 4D uses left-handed coordinate system, whereas most other 3D DCCs use right-handed coordinate system (as well as the V-Ray core). This is the source of several differences, most probably including this one, which I'm still investigating.
              Deyan Hadzhiev
              Developer
              chaos.com

Comment

Hi deyan.hadzhiev , thank you for the explanation. I've just checked the setup.

Cache Normals disabled

Name:	disp_bug_base.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1097838

Cache Normals enabled

Name:	disp_bug_cache_normals.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1097840

So the Cache Normals setting seems to improve a little bit the result, but doesn't fix the first issue encountered. Since the shading error happens on every face, I guess it's related to the coordinates system issue you've explained.
                Attached Files

Comment

In both cases it probably is. Apart from the displacement texture, do you have anything else in the material - normal bump or anything else that might also affect the result?
                  Deyan Hadzhiev
                  Developer
                  chaos.com

Comment

A normal map yes. You'll find a link to download the scene in your Messages.

Comment

Thanks, I have found and fixed the issue with the cache normals option, and will check your scene for the other issue. I'll write here when the issue is fixed in the stable nightlies.
                      Deyan Hadzhiev
                      Developer
                      chaos.com

Comment

After some investigation, it turned out to be a core GPU issue, that will be further investigated, but may take more time. However, it is only present when both normal displacement and normal bump map are used on the same geometry, and the quality settings of the displacement produce a subdivision.
                        Until we fix the issue in the GPU render, as a workaround you may change the quality settings of the displacement to prevent subdivisions (by setting the max levels parameter to 1) and subdivide the geometry using the cinema 4D subdivision.
                        I will write again when there is some change on this issue.
                        Deyan Hadzhiev
                        Developer
                        chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                        X