Multiply a bitmap in Diffuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiply a bitmap in Diffuse

The Mix Mode. Will this be added as in Vray 3.7? Important to not use 100% white. Nothing is 100% white in real life.
    Last edited by michael_olssson; 04-12-2020, 05:53 AM.

shaio You are always my man to answer. Do you happen to know if they will add the Mix Modes? Thanks mate!

Comment

I don’t know if developers will add support for this, but you can already get this results using a layered shader. While I agree that it would be a nice addition to the shader system, I imagine that it can mess up with future compatibility with other Vray(Max, Maya etc) material systems.
      3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
      NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
      www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
      @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

You could always use the filter shader or as suggested the layer shader to achieve this. Never seen this feature in 3dsmax..
        Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
        www.AddYourLight.com
        Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Hi all,

Regarding michael_olssson's original post - I've forwarded this to our devs so they're aware of it.
          As suggested, layer tex can be used to achieve this: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...8_14-46-42.mp4
          Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 08-12-2020, 05:51 AM.
          Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by michael_olssson View Post
            shaio You are always my man to answer. Do you happen to know if they will add the Mix Modes? Thanks mate!
            Having those would ease the current workflow for sure but when thinking about future node based workflow this would not be practical having it in the material but on a separate node. I would be happy to hear your opinion about this since it doesn't apply for the Diffuse only.
            Adding a parameter is easy but after that having to maintain compatibility for such parameters before removing them is a very time-consuming task, so I prefer to make sure that future workflow won't lead to such changes, and we can invest that time for adding new features and improvements.
            Last edited by shaio; 10-12-2020, 10:14 AM.
            Ivan Shaykov
            chaos.com

Comment

Ok I see. I don't know anything about "maintain compatibility" in the future. I take you by the words there.

What I do know is that more or less every time I add a bitmap in the diffuse channel I have to multiply it. So the white is not 100% white. So the render will be more natural. (I works as a packaging design visualizer. So I add the design in the diffuse channel all the time)

If it is, or will become, a big problem adding the mix modes in the channels that's a shame. But I trust you! Thanks for looking into it!

Comment

What about compatibility to other platforms?
                I'm both using 3dsmax and c4d and it is a pain to bring my assets over tbh.
                Are there any plans for material exchange?

@michael_olsson may I ask why you don't lower the gamma but do the mix? Wouldn't that work too?
                Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
                  What about compatibility to other platforms?
                  I'm both using 3dsmax and c4d and it is a pain to bring my assets over tbh.
                  Are there any plans for material exchange?

@michael_olsson may I ask why you don't lower the gamma but do the mix? Wouldn't that work too?
                  We will have material exchange in the future either through vrscene files or something else. It is in our plans since it is an essential feature to have interoperability with our other products.
                  Ivan Shaykov
                  chaos.com

Comment

Ok I see. I don't know anything about "maintain compatibility" in the future. I take you by the words there.
                    I didn't clarify myself, sorry about this. What I was trying to say is that we need to keep compatibility with old scenes that were created with V-Ray 5 before the parameter was removed for example.
                    Ivan Shaykov
                    chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post

I didn't clarify myself, sorry about this. What I was trying to say is that we need to keep compatibility with old scenes that were created with V-Ray 5 before the parameter was removed for example.
                      Aha I see. But then the expected way would be to keep the mix modes maybe? It was/is there in 3.7 right? Or you mean it need to work with the V-Ray 5 for max for instance that is all ready out. i didn't think about that. I get your point now. But it seems like it's not working so good to work on C4D an Max simultaneously anyway. Maybe a mixmode won't do any big harm ?
                      Last edited by michael_olssson; 11-12-2020, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post

Hmm I'm not sure how you mean. Could you explain further please?

Comment

Originally posted by michael_olssson View Post

Aha I see. But then the expected way would be to keep the mix modes maybe? It was/is there in 3.7 right? Or you mean it need to work with the V-Ray 5 for max for instance that is all ready out. i didn't think about that. I get your point now. But it seems like it's not working so good to work on C4D an Max simultaneously anyway. Maybe a mixmode won't do any big harm ?
                          If using 3dsmax maps like composite or noise maps only working with Max, you have to rebuild the shader anyway... It's a nightmare lol
                          about gamma: usually I put my textures into a filter shader and lower the gamma till the material looks right. Like 0.75 or even 0.45. Adds contrast and brings white down too, I'm pretty sure...
                          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

This would be nice for sure! I used to use this all the time!

Comment

Working...
                            X