Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

("universal") Material Converter anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefan_laub1 View Post
    Hi all,

some info update:

as we got very different wishes on features, supported engines, and also pricing options /limits etc, we needed some time to think on this project. anyway thanks for all input
    it is a time consuming task it seems, specially if nodes should be included, but we still feel such converted can help c4d users much.

after some evaluations, i came to the conclusion that i will post very soon at least 3 options for choice as a kind of crowd funding plugin which you can get via 3dtools.info.
    options are from a simpler version (cheaper) to more complex and flexible material conversion solutions (sadly have to cost more). maybe even one including conversion outside the borders of c4d (unreal, blender?)

if we get enough pre-sales for one of the 3 option to to cover the development costs, we will let the developers make this plug-in version.
    users who opted for another option than succeeding, we will contact in case if they would support the material converter variant most did choose.

please post any questions, ideas or concerns on this idea
    Stefan
    Any news in this Stefan?

Comment

HI,
      well i had to put this on ice as i learned some one other works on a quite similar thing. as they seem to have started work already it makes no sense to make more or less same.
      but i admid lot of time passed thought and the others didnt release any so far. a bit complicated situation. sadly i have no new or other info on the other project so far.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Doing a good material convertor is not an easy task, and certainly a time-consuming one. It could be a somewhat easy task when the main goal is to convert existing materials with just bitmaps, but these things can become very tricky when you have to involve nodes like layered textures, utility nodes and such that are not easily convertible to their V-Ray alternatives.
        Because of that, I want to provide some insights into our current and future plans regarding any kind of material conversion in V-Ray, if this helps in any way for the conversation here.
        Our focus mainly lies on converting materials (and potentially lights) from other engines to V-Ray and not the other way around. Currently, we are capable of converting materials from the default render engines in Cinema 4D to V-Ray, that being Redshift and the Standard Cinema 4D renderer and some of their essential nodes and textures. Additionally, we are actively developing the conversion of materials (and potentially lights) from Corona to V-Ray for Cinema 4D.​ And most importantly, while making the conversion for them possible we also add support for rendering them natively in V-Ray so even if you don't do the conversion you should be able to render them directly with V-Ray.

I hope this information helps in some way for the conversation and the ongoing ideas here.
        Last edited by shaio; 18-03-2024, 03:19 PM.
        Ivan Shaykov
        chaos.com

Comment

"we are actively developing the conversion of materials (and potentially lights) from Corona to V-Ray for Cinema 4D.​ And most importantly while making the conversion for them possible we also add support for rendering them natively in V-Ray so even if you don't do the conversion you should be able to render them directly with V-Ray"

yes this is a lot of work, as you say.
          the conversion from corona and even make them renderable is superb news Shaio, this woudl be excellent!

Comment

Working...
          X