Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACEScg primaries

Hi,

So V-Ray 6 introduce the possibility to use ACEScg as a rendering color space. I looked for more information in the docs but it's a bit thin at the moment.

I knew the theorical benefits of ACEScg as a working colorspace in general for a compositing pipeline, but what is the purpose as a rendering colorspace ?

Does ACEScg primaries give a better result from a rendering standpoint ? Is the result more physically correct ?

Does it imply I must have an ACES colormanaged workflow from start to finish to use it ?

Do my textures have to be edited and saved with an ACES color profile ?

In short, is there any benefit to use it outside of an ACES colormanaged pipeline ?

Thank you !

ACES is more for larger studios in my personal opinion it ensures a color space that can be used to combine cg and live footage in a very predictable way. You can also archive footage far better.

Aces also expands the color range but has a rrt look to it that I find to be a bit meh. It also requires color managed workflows from start to finish. You wont be able to match pantones or company colors very well either as those are largely designed as SRGB.

For people working on their own and not in a big studio pipeline with colorist and post teams.... I would stick to filmic as it also achieves an expanded exposure range which is the whole point anyways and why people like aces that arent using it in conjunction with a large studio pipeline.

Long story short aces is great, but you can do without it if you are working solo and just use filmic.

Comment

Working...
    X