Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Node Material black in viewport with metalness - workaround?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Node Material black in viewport with metalness - workaround?

Hi All!
    I've been dealing with a lot of metal elements lately and, and it really bugs me that the applied materials are black in the viewport. when dealing with a bunch of elements with the same geo and but different materials you can get lost in the viewport quite fast. Did anyone manage to figure out a workaround for this?
    Since most of the material properties are not visible in the viewport when using vray I wouldn't mind if the metalness slider didn't affect the diffuse color. I would be totally fine with a a viewport preview of the diffuse texture or color when metalness is applied.
    materials
    This would be a great QoL improvement for someone who works with a bunch of metal materials.
  • Answer selected by viktor_angelov at 02-10-2023, 05:13 AM.

Hi akos_kiss​,

This is a known issue (VC4D-863), and we will provide updates if any further progress is made.

Thank you for your understanding.

Comment

Hey akos_kiss, can you share more details on exact version of Cinema 4D and V-Ray, as well as an example scene. The metalness should not affect the viewport preview and the diffuse color of the material should be used, so if you experience something different, it is probably a problem or bug.

We have planned some improvements to the node material previews in the viewport, but they are not really high priority right now.
      Deyan Hadzhiev
      Developer
      chaos.com

Comment

Hey deyan.hadzhiev , This has been an issue for issue for us for a while but currently we use V-Ray 6 for Cinema 4D, update 1.2 (v6.10.02 from Sep 26 2023) with Cinema 4D 2023.2.2.

My main problem is that if i use a texture map in the diffuse slot of a metallic material, the viewport goes black. This is an issue is mostly present with the node materials.
        But if i use any type of color correction with a bitmap in the diffuse slot of a metallic material the viewport display also goes to black.
        I attached a file and a screenshot of the issue. I understand this is not a high priority element but this would be an awesome improvement. We mostly use the node materials in our workflow since the last few updates it has been a great way to work.

vray_metalness_01.c4d

Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_metalness_01.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	1192069

Comment

Hi akos_kiss​,

This is a known issue (VC4D-863), and we will provide updates if any further progress is made.

Thank you for your understanding.

Comment

Working...
          X