Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray decal adding only bump

Hello,

Is it possible to use vray decal, so it will not overwrite the base material diffuse, just add the bump? Somehow this seems like a base function but I can't make this work.

Many thanks
    www.rwvision.com.pl

Hello RwVision

You can absolutely do that by using the V-Ray Bump Material. I have recorded a video for you to observe the process. Feel free to check it out: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...4_10-22-09.mp4

Comment

Thank you viktor_angelov! Yes, it works, but it is so unintuitive! Why we have to use the same base material in bump material slot in order to achieve this?

It would be just a lot easier if Vray decal had an option to consider adding only bump from the material (or bump material). What about, when we use multiple selection on a object?
      www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Originally posted by RwVision View Post
        Thank you viktor_angelov! Yes, it works, but it is so unintuitive! Why we have to use the same base material in bump material slot in order to achieve this?

It would be just a lot easier if Vray decal had an option to consider adding only bump from the material (or bump material). What about, when we use multiple selection on a object?
        Decals that only affect other channels are implemented in corona, and it may take some time for vray to do the same

Comment

Originally posted by 123456_ View Post

Decals that only affect other channels are implemented in corona, and it may take some time for vray to do the same
          Hey
          Any update on that option maybe?
          www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hey viktor_angelov

I just found out that using your solution has another issue - when the base material has bump, it overrides the first material mapping and bump.

The only solution for now is to use a copy of the base material, remove bump from it and use it as a base for the bump/decal material - this is veeery limiting.

Any workaround?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RwVision; 12-02-2024, 06:09 AM.
            www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hello RwVision Thank you for sharing! What you have found is the encouraged workflow. The Decal will not override the Initial Material if you feed it an independent Base Material.
              You can see it here: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...9_09-01-01.jpg

Comment

Hey viktor_angelov

Thanks for confirming.

So, why the need of a copy of the base material then? Vray Decal should only use the bump texture and then apply to the object.
                You surely know how messy the material manager can become by that.
                www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

RwVision This is simply because a material with no Bump is needed. Otherwise, the Bump Material will use both its own Bump map and the Bump from the Base Material.

You can observe an example here: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...9_09-35-36.mp4
                  As you can see, when the Initial Material is used as a Base, both the Square Bump and the Fish Skin Bump is visible.

Comment

viktor_angelov
                    Yeah, but that's an issue. If I have a complex material, with bump, reflections, channel layers etc. - to use an additional decal bump I need to copy it, insert into bump mat base and keep editing it along with the base material with bump.

Now imagine 20 objects in the scene, which would require that - now we have 40 materials, where 20 of them or just unwanted copies, without bump. Why can't there be just an option on the decal objects itself - use only bump?

Or just an option to not override the base material bump mapping - so we could use the same material in bump slot.
                    Or an option in bump material - that turns off the base material bump.

Would be so much easier
                    Last edited by RwVision; 19-02-2024, 06:18 AM.
                    www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

viktor_angelov

Also, how does it work if you have on the object 2-3 different material selections and you want to add only one decal bump variation beetween those 2?

Many thanks!

www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hello RwVision Thank you for sharing. I have discussed the matter with the team and tested multiple set-ups. Currently, this is the only workflow available.

Thank you for the proposed improvements. We will keep them in mind!
                        Last edited by viktor_angelov; 20-02-2024, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you viktor_angelov, I really appreciate that.

Any chance fur such a future option?
                          www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

RwVision As a company policy, I am unable to give any promises regarding ETAs nor Future Implementations. However, we recognize your request and have gone through the matter extensively.

Comment

Working...
                            X