Displacement - 2D vs Normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement - 2D vs Normal

Apologies if this has been covered. When I have displacement(geometry tag) and my poly objects are using the UV map, 2D mapping is the best option - I assume in terms of performance and effect. Further, I understand 2D won't work for procedural textures so Normal should be used. However, is this the same case for mapping overrides if I switch my mapping in the material tag to box or some other projection? What kind of performance hit(and or quality hit) am I taking when I box map override all my materials and set all my geometry tags to displace Normal?

Thank you for any feedback.

(Ive read through the documentation so I understand the difference in the abstract)

Hi wolfgang_himmelfarb​,

Normal Displacement can be applied for arbitrary displacement maps with any kind of mapping. Can you clarify a bit more on your specific concerns?

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

I found some documentation on the performance differences between 2d and Normal(3D in Max) so I'm now clear on performance trade offs:

https://garagefarm.net/blog/how-disp...n-v-ray-part-2

I suppose if I had any question it would be whether you need your poly object to be uv mapped for 2D to work properly, but I can test that as well. In Cinema you can do a projection override with the material which is common in archvis. Apologies, I was calling it "box" map previously which is a max term.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	1201111
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	1201113

Comment

Working...
      X