VFB settings resetting or missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB settings resetting or missing

Hi, I am having issues with the VFB being inconsistently maintaining the various compositing effects each time in a scene.

Things like lens effects turning on again after I switch them off, and filmic tonemap disappearing after I hit production render despite it being on when I'm using IPR etc....I can't pinpoint exactly why or when but it's been pretty annoying. I've even submitted a job to chaos cloud and the filmic tonemap disappeared despite being in the saved file and on in all my reviews.

why?

The 3ds max version of vray is sooo much more reliable I'm finding c4d is quite nightmarish at the moment. Teething problems I guess.

Have these problems too. Currently not working with the Framebuffer in production. Use C4D Pictureviewer instead. Also you cant use the c4d built in funktions to name the renderings automatically in regards of Takes.

Comment

yep I just find it randomly resets ocassioinally and adds lens effects back on once they are switched off etc. Nightmare! I feel like it might be a case of when you have multiple scenes open in C4d but when you hit the VFB window it may have the rendering settings from another scene open in it possibly. Not sure

Comment

Same here - happens even on the newest update? Sometimes I'm working on a project, and suddenly I realize i lost my VFB settings... Definitely it has to do with closing the vfb window and switching projects.
        www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Sometimes deleted Layers in the Framebuffer "coming back" after Seconds for no reason. I delete them again and they come back after another buckets are rendered.
          I recommend saving the Layer after you are final with it so you dont lose them and can load them back.

Comment

yes this reappearing of deleted layers is common and super annoying. I hope support is reading these posts.

Comment

I mean, I thought this will be updated with the latest release...
              aleksandar.kasabov
              shaio
              Any info on this?
              www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

I have just worked out that if you start a new scene, ( for me at least) it automatically adds lens effects, filmic tonemap, and a lookup table at default settings.
                f I delete/turn these off they will continue to reset every time I activate the IPR until I save my scene.Then the settings seem to stick.
                This then will reset if I switch windows into another scene. It seems because the VFB is persistent between scenes it gets crossed with the previous scenes settings.

Unlike 3ds max where an actual separate instance of 3ds max being open is like a separate entity so it doesn't 'pollute' the other Vray scene!

Comment

Unlike 3ds max where an actual separate instance of 3ds max being open is like a separate entity, so it doesn't 'pollute' the other Vray scene!
                  3Ds Max doesn't have the ability to open Multiple scenes like Cinema 4D that is why it is easily handled there.

With Cinema 4D it is a bit tricky. The reason why the VFB is persistent between the scenes and keeps getting mixed in its settings is because we don't keep in the memory every layer and every tweak in the VFB per scene. They're only saved for the most recent opened or new scene. The reason for this is very simple. Imagine you can have 5 scenes opened in Cinema and rendered inside the VFB. Inside each VFB you could have different masks/layers/color corrections/Render Elements etc. that are loaded in to the memory. If we keep all those tweaks for every single opened scene in the memory then as soon as you render and composite a few large resolution images with a lot of layers and adjustments for every single scene you will be out of memory in no time.

This of course doesn't mean that we're not looking for solutions about this. As a recommendation, I would suggest using the ability to save/load presets inside the VFB for all your tweaks.

If you're loosing settings when you have only one scene opened while using the VFB then I'll be happy if you provide me more information and detailed steps on how to reproduce the issue here on my end since none of the above posts are reproducible here. Video's showing the issue would also help.

Thank you!
                  Last edited by shaio; 10-07-2021, 06:58 AM.
                  Ivan Shaykov
                  chaos.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I think you should make note of this issue somehow in the help docs possibly... because honestly, it's very confusing and frustrating for the user to know what the hell is going on. And also list what best practices are to make sure things are going to render the way you want.
                    I also find the region render seems to keep reactivating itself as well after you deactivate it. When I get time I'll try screen cap the process.

Comment

Originally posted by cam_910 View Post
                      Thanks for the reply, I think you should make note of this issue somehow in the help docs possibly... because honestly, it's very confusing and frustrating for the user to know what the hell is going on. And also list what best practices are to make sure things are going to render the way you want.
                      I also find the region render seems to keep reactivating itself as well after you deactivate it. When I get time I'll try screen cap the process.
                      Thank you for the suggestions about the documentation. I'll forward this to our documentation team and we will add this as a note for the VFB. As for the reactivating region, this is known issue and shall be fixed in future versions. Thank you for the feedback.
                      Ivan Shaykov
                      chaos.com

Comment

I'm experiencing vfb settings loss when operating only in one project, so it's not also related to switching between other files.

IPR render - load settings - stop render - render IPR again- settings lost.
                        www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Hello RwVision,

This seems like a bug and I have reported it for fixing (bug ID: VC4D-1046). I will let you know once we have updates on the matter.

Until then, as a workaround, if you stop the Interactive rendering and then add your layers they will stay in the VFB and won't be lost. Thanks.
                          Aleksandar Kasabov
                          chaos.com

Comment

Hello RwVision,

This issue (bug ID: VC4D-1046) was recently fixed and you can find the fix in the latest stable build. You can download it from here:

https://nightlies.chaosgroup.com/mai...table/20211008
                            Aleksandar Kasabov
                            chaos.com

Comment

wow, nice - must check it
                              www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Working...
                              X