mix strenght problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mix strenght problem

the mix strength slider in the difuse color chanel doesn't seem to work correctly.
    attached a simple test:

mat1
    80% white color (RGB 204, 204, 204)

mat2
    black color
    white image (RGB 255, 255, 255) mix strenght 80%

mat2 is brighter then the mat1
    it doesnt matter if i mix the image with VrayLayered-material

i testet this also with vray 3.7 and there the materials look exactly the same like they shoud.
    to get the same render results, i have to mix a pure white image with a mix strengt value of 60%.
    Last edited by tomschmid; 28-02-2022, 04:07 AM.

Hello tomschmid,

In order to compare the 2 materials, please set the input color profile of the Project Settings (Ctrl+D) to Linear. Once you set the color profile to linear you will get the same results. I hope this is of help.
    Aleksandar Kasabov
    chaos.com

Comment

so is it recommended to work always with linear color profile? because it affects the hole image. much brighter.
      it also makes the colorpiker a bit strange. a 50% grey doesnt look then like a 50% grey so i think i have to stay in rgb mode.

in vray 3 i've learned that a white paper is not RGB 255,255,255 (100% white) but more something like RGB 204,204,204 (80% white).
      so in vray 5 (rgb mode) i have to mix an image with 60% black so the white is not brighter then 204,204,204.

workflow vray 5: 60% mix with black to get 80% white
      workflow vray 3: 80% mix with black to geht 80 white

its a bit confusing. was much more logical in vray 3
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tomschmid; 01-03-2022, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Hi tomschmid, the difference observed between V-Ray 3.7 and V-Ray 5 is mostly because in V-Ray 3.7 the document input color setting was considered differently. We changed this behavior in V-Ray 5 to better match the native Cinema 4D material workflow.

Additionally, please check this post, where I have described in details some differences between the classic materials and node materials and is somewhat related as a topic to your query:
        https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...88#post1120088

Particularly in your case, when you have the input color to 80% white, it is converted from sRGB to linear for the render, while using the mix strength the final color is calculated in linear space after the individual colors have been converted from sRGB.
        Deyan Hadzhiev
        Developer
        chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X