Vray Clipper slows down render time dramatically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Rafal,

(First person to actually look at my setup - many thanks, that should gone like this on the first answer.)
    That's not true and if you read carefully -- two devs answer you, and many other from the team were involved internally. I understand you don't get me wrong but is not true that we don't care for your feedback.

Cheers,
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Hey Boyan

Not saying you don't care, just this simple topic issue (which I should find out by myself...) was a time waste for both sides. Instead to just check my file and say - "Hey, just untick this option", I got first 2 responses that vray works like that by nature and I should look for another solution. Then I got a response from tech that pointed me to Yunal's solution - which is a whole another matter. And finally, after my responses we finally got to the simple solution - just confirming that responses from tech before wasn't accurate.

It happens, no offense here I just hate running in circles, not focusing on actual problem.

Many thanks again!
      www.rwvision.com.pl

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.vardarov View Post
        Hello RwVision,

What slows down your render is the "Fill Inner Cavities" parameter in the VRayClipper object. It is usually used when clipping closed geometry. To generate the 'caps' of the clipped geometry - we have to trace additional rays to check if the shaded point is inside or outside the mesh. Disabling this option should bring your render times back to normal.
        I'm having the same slowdown problems, my scenes are 5 times slower to render when using VRayClipper, I know this thread is for C4D, I'm using 3D Studio but the problem is the same. My version of Clipper doesn't have the "fill inner cavities" parameter, what should I do??

Comment

Hello devin,

Please open a support ticket via our contact form or create a new thread in the 3Ds Max forum section and my colleagues will have a look at that issue for you.

Thank you.
          Aleksandar Kasabov
          chaos.com

Comment

Clippers in Max have a property "fill_cavities" that is accessible with MAXScript - you can set it to false and rendering should be faster but results might be different.
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
              Clippers in Max have a property "fill_cavities" that is accessible with MAXScript - you can set it to false and rendering should be faster but results might be different.
              I don't know MAXScript, how would this work?

Comment

Select the clipper and then type
                Code:
                $.fill_cavities=false
                in the MAXScript Mini Lister (the white edit box in the bottom left corner of the Max window) and press enter.
                Yavor Rubenov
                V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hi All!

Are there any updates on the slowdown issues? I've tried to use vrayclipper after a while and the render times are horrible. We've observer 5x to 44x increases in render time. We use V-Ray 6 for Cinema 4D, update 1.1 (v6.10.01 from Jun 27 2023)

Update and a few more details:
                  • I noticed time difference between the include and exclude options even if the "output" was the same.
                  • bucket rendering is mostly out of the picture because it takes way to long. For our test scene the same setup with the same geo used with c4d boolean tok 2 minutes. with the clipper the estimate after 1 minute was 44 minutes and rising, while the elapsed timer stopped.
                  • With progressive rendering (default settings) + denoising and a time limit(!) we had a reasonable result after 5-6 minutes.
                  It feels like the buckets are stuck on sampling or something when they reach a clipped surface and they take forever to calculate something that shouldn't take too long. The same goes for the progressive rendering and i can see on the noiselevel pass that there is way more noise on the "clipped" surfaces.

This makes it unusable with animations and bucket rendering.
                  Last edited by akos_kiss; 07-08-2023, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I guess I am the lucky one to be discovering this now. A 7 Minute render has become impossible to render now if I use a clipper. Vray estimates over 90 minutes! Useless.
                    This is max btw. It was mentioned that the clipper geometry itself is sampled, but even if this is left visible it's no way near the render time increase that the clipper slowdown might suggest.

edit: the only way I can get a reasonable render time is to switch to IR (yep it's still useful) and to increase the min shading rate massively. 100 in my case gives a much cleaner result and faster... I really think the clipper might be broken.
                    edit 2: Nope even that is still unusably slow. How disappointing.
                    Last edited by Pixelcon; 27-02-2024, 05:53 AM.
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Working...
                    X