Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use the Volumetric Heat Haze option in V-Ray VolumeGrid to achieve a distorted effect

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use the Volumetric Heat Haze option in V-Ray VolumeGrid to achieve a distorted effect

Just like the user manual
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by viktor_angelov at 05-10-2023, 04:15 AM.

Hi 123456_​,

I was able to reproduce this issue. It is escalated to our Dev Team for further inspection and resolution (VC4D-1999). We will get back to you if we have any updates.

Thank you for your understanding.

Comment

Hello 123456_,

Please note that currently there are some known issues with the Heat Haze when used with smoke. You can however use it with temperature. In the Rendering tab of the V-Ray VolumeGrid, set the Render Mode to "Volumetric Heat Haze". In the Surface rollout, set the Grid Channel Name to "Temperature_phx" and the Isosurface mode to 0.5. Adjust the Heat Haze parameter in the Volumetric rollout to your preference. Please check this screenshot. Also, disable the smoke color as shown here.

Keep in mind that you can achieve the same effect in post-production software, such as After Effects on Nuke.
      Aleksandar Kasabov
      chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.kasabov View Post
        Hello 123456_,

Please note that currently there are some known issues with the Heat Haze when used with smoke. You can however use it with temperature. In the Rendering tab of the V-Ray VolumeGrid, set the Render Mode to "Volumetric Heat Haze". In the Surface rollout, set the Grid Channel Name to "Temperature_phx" and the Isosurface mode to 0.5. Adjust the Heat Haze parameter in the Volumetric rollout to your preference. Please check this screenshot. Also, disable the smoke color as shown here.

Keep in mind that you can achieve the same effect in post-production software, such as After Effects on Nuke.
        I don't seem to have the effect of twisting with the same parameters. Can you give me a successful demonstration of the twisting project
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello 123456_,

Could you please open a support ticket via our contact form and send us your scene (along with the cache files) so we can have a look? Please make sure to mention this forum thread in the body of the ticket. Thank you.
          Aleksandar Kasabov
          chaos.com

Comment

Hello 123456_,

Could you please open a support ticket via our contact form and send us your scene (along with the cache files) so we can have a look? Please make sure to mention this forum thread in the body of the ticket. Thank you.
            Okay, I have already submitted it

Comment

Hello 123456_,

Thank you for providing your test scene.

Please note that amount of the effect is determined by the temperature of your cache files. As the temperature of your cache file is quite low, you don't see the effect and you need to bump the Heat Haze parameter very high. Keep in mind that the amount of this parameter is hard limited to 1000 and with your specific cache file even that amount won't display the effect. You can edit your simulation so the temperature of the cache file is higher so you can better see the heat haze. I hope this is of help.
              Aleksandar Kasabov
              chaos.com

Comment

Hello 123456_,

Thank you for providing your test scene.

Please note that amount of the effect is determined by the temperature of your cache files. As the temperature of your cache file is quite low, you don't see the effect and you need to bump the Heat Haze parameter very high. Keep in mind that the amount of this parameter is hard limited to 1000 and with your specific cache file even that amount won't display the effect. You can edit your simulation so the temperature of the cache file is higher so you can better see the heat haze. I hope this is of help.
                Thank you for your reply

Comment

Hello 123456_

I would like to let you know that the amount of the Heat Haze parameter is now not hard limited to a 1000. Тhe implementation is available in the new Official Builds that you can find here: https://download.chaos.com/?platform=70&product=47

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
                    Hello 123456_

I would like to let you know that the amount of the Heat Haze parameter is now not hard limited to a 1000. Тhe implementation is available in the new Official Builds that you can find here: https://download.chaos.com/?platform=70&product=47
                    Yes, but I found that rendering the hot fog sequence frame animation can cause the entire software to freeze.This should be a bug

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, 123456_ Could you provide a test scene that we can investigate as well as a video recording of the Freeze? You can do that here or through our System: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

What is your current Cinema and V-Ray builds?
                      Does the software recover after the freeze or you need to reopen the program?

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, 123456_ Could you provide a test scene that we can investigate as well as a video recording of the Freeze? You can do that here or through our System: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

What is your current Cinema and V-Ray builds?
                        Does the software recover after the freeze or you need to reopen the program?
                        I uploaded a video of the project and how to trigger the freeze. You only need to load a VDB. And when enabling hot fog mode during interactive rendering, modifying any values will also cause the entire software to freeze
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the files, 123456_

We will investigate them and come back to you once more information is available.

Comment

123456_ We would like to test with the VDB that you are using. Could you share it with us as well?

Comment

123456_ We would like to test with the VDB that you are using. Could you share it with us as well?
                              The vdb file is a bit too large. I created a small ball directly from c4d and then exported the vdb directly using c4d's Pyro. All parameters are default. You can get the same vdb as me
                              Last edited by 123456_; 04-10-2023, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I tested your set-up as well as a new scene with a VDB Pyro Sim. It seems to work as expected with no Freezes appearing. You can see the results of the test here: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...5_09-45-57.mp4

Could you try sharing the VDB as well through our Report System to see if it's what causing the Freeze? https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Comment

Working...
                                X