Slow Node material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Node material

Can someone explain to me why I still have problems with material previews? the paths are correct and the textures reside on SSD disks. I remember these problems with the Vray 3.4 version then I switched to Corona and now I'm going back to Vray but I'm finding severe slowdowns with the materials.
    Attached Files

Hello visualtracing__,

Can you please share some additional details about the issue? Does this happen with every node material? Do you experience similar issues with the classic materials?

Please specify the exact versions of V-Ray and Cinema4D that you have installed.

Also, does the material preview eventually get rendered or it stays like that forever?

Please go to Edit> Preferences> Renderer> V-Ray> Materials and make sure that previews for both Classic and Node materials are enabled (please check this screenshot).

Thanks.
    Aleksandar Kasabov
    chaos.com

Comment

hi,
      thanks, yes the previews were disabled but in any case every time I open a material with a node system, I see the previews loading slowly and yet the paths are on an M2 SSD disk. I wanted to know if this is normal.
      However, regarding the loading of materials via the Cinema 4D assets browser, I gave up because I see that it takes even longer to load the previews during adjustments.
      Surely the problem is due to the path it creates (assetdb:///.....)
      I attach a screen with a texture taken from the Cinema 4D Assets Browser.
      I would like to get some other opinions to understand if I'm the only one having these slowdown problems.

I'm on Cinema 4D 2024.0.2 on windows 10
      Vray update 1.2 (v6.10.02)​
      Attached Files

Comment

regarding standard materials I discovered the reason for the slowness.
        It often happens that for convenience I set the adjustments in a window in the center of the screen creating a duplicate but it is precisely this that slows down and uses the CPU in loading the preview of the material.
        Using the attributes window instead is quick.
        I attach a video, maybe it will be useful to someone
        ​
        https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...P8XjvQRy7qxgSV

Comment

I attach a video to show the slow refresh of the node materials. Sometimes it's even slower

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...fnGUnGLJW4fLrk

Comment

Originally posted by visualtracing__ View Post
            I attach a video to show the slow refresh of the node materials. Sometimes it's even slower

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...fnGUnGLJW4fLrk
            Hello visualtracing__,

Thanks for sharing the video and apologies for the delayed reply.

It seems like the issue is indeed caused by the textures, coming from the Asset Browser and their paths. I have reported this to our devs for fixing (bug ID: VC4D-2024) and we will keep you updated on its progress.

Thanks.
            Aleksandar Kasabov
            chaos.com

Comment

Hi All,
              This slowdown also happens with textures not from the maxon asset browser. We constantly have issues with node material previews that simply don't load and only show a black shader ball, or full black preview. We have to force render material previews to make them visible and usable.

Comment

same here, also when opening a scene from 2023 or copy and paste an object with a lot of node textures take incredible long until textures previews are rendered and systems slows down.. you need to wait until every preview is rendered and then you could go on working…

crossing fingers you find soon the reason…

Win11 / rtx 4090 / threadripper 3990x / c4d 2024 / Latest nightly vray6.1 / everything updated

Comment

Hello,

Upon testing on my end, I was not able to reproduce such slowdowns in the material preview rendering. Is there anything specific to your workflow that I might be missing that is causing the issue? Also, would you mind sharing a short video recording of your screen, demonstrating the issue? Thanks.
                  Aleksandar Kasabov
                  chaos.com

Comment

Hello aleksandar.kasabov, sorry my late reply, but I am in the middle of a bigger project. As soon I have the chance, I will prepare a scene to share.

Another thing is, when I switch the renderer all previews get lost and needs to render again, when I switch back to vray. This is something realy annoying. Can't this be changed?
                    Thanks..

Comment

Hello haniel1107,

Another thing is, when I switch the renderer all previews get lost and needs to render again, when I switch back to vray. This is something realy annoying. Can't this be changed?
                      Thanks..
                      The reason for that is that when switching between different render engines, you also switch the node space for the node materials. Therefore, when the node space is changed back to V-Ray node space, the material previews need to be rendered again.

The default setting for the node space is "Current" which will follow the current render engine. You can however set a specific node space by going to Render> Node Spaces. If you set it to V-Ray, the material previews won't rerender when switching between render engines. Keep in mind that in this case, you won't be able to use the node materials for the other render engines.

I hope this is of help.
                      Aleksandar Kasabov
                      chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.kasabov View Post
                        Hello haniel1107,

The reason for that is that when switching between different render engines, you also switch the node space for the node materials. Therefore, when the node space is changed back to V-Ray node space, the material previews need to be rendered again.

The default setting for the node space is "Current" which will follow the current render engine. You can however set a specific node space by going to Render> Node Spaces. If you set it to V-Ray, the material previews won't rerender when switching between render engines. Keep in mind that in this case, you won't be able to use the node materials for the other render engines.

I hope this is of help.
                        I believe this will help a lot! Thanks for this tip... I will try this out.

Comment

Working...
                        X