Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Material Tag not working in Vray6

Hi Everyone,

I am running into an issue with the Pin Material c4d tag. It is showing correctly in the viewport, and renders correctly in the physical render engine, so i believe the tag is setup correctly. However in vray, it does not pin the uvs of the texture. See attached example file and screenshots below. Is this a bug in vray? Or is the tag not supported? If it isn't supported, is it planned to support this tag?

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

edit: This was working in older vray versions. Maybe it stopped working when maxon renamed the tag from stick texture to pin material?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zAppledot; 17-10-2023, 12:28 PM.

Hi zAppledot, it seems that the tag is not supported, but I will add it to the plan for future support. However I can not give you exact timeframe when its support will be added.

This was working in older vray versions.
    There is no support in V-Ray 5 or V-Ray 6, so I suppose you mean the V-Ray 3.x versions (and older). Keep in mind that the V-Ray for Cinema 4D integration has been rewritten between V-Ray 3 and V-Ray 5 and some features that worked in the older implementation may still not work in the latest versions. We appreciate all reports for such missing features.
    Deyan Hadzhiev
    Developer
    chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by deyan.hadzhiev View Post
      Hi zAppledot, it seems that the tag is not supported, but I will add it to the plan for future support. However I can not give you exact timeframe when its support will be added.

There is no support in V-Ray 5 or V-Ray 6, so I suppose you mean the V-Ray 3.x versions (and older). Keep in mind that the V-Ray for Cinema 4D integration has been rewritten between V-Ray 3 and V-Ray 5 and some features that worked in the older implementation may still not work in the latest versions. We appreciate all reports for such missing features.
      Hi Deyan,

Thanks for the prompt response. My apologizes for not clarifying, yes, i meant in 3.7 and older.

I wasn't sure if it wasn't working because Maxon changed the name or if the tag wasn't supported yet in the new rewritten vray integration, thanks for clarifying that. To be honest i have not needed that feature for some so i had not noticed it wasn't supported, but some of my colleagues that are using vray3.7 for production use that tag on the daily and they were looking to move their production to vray6. I will let them know that it's not possible at the moment and to wait for the feature to be supported. Hopefully it won't be hard or take long to support :fingers crossed:

Thanks

Comment

Hi All!

The pin material tag is really useful and imho the only way to easily add directable material details, overlays, decals to any deformed object without uvw unwrapping and fiddling around with uvw projections and offsets in the node editor. This approach was way easier and more intuitive to use as you get what you see in the viewport and don't have to mess with uvw coordinate offset values.
        The ability to stack labels, stickers, decals and other overlays on a material with a selected mapping type in the viewport is a very desirable feature. The vray deals are great but they don't play nice with the deformers, generators (like subd surf)

Currently the only easy way to make any of these layered material elements is with pure geo and wrapping it on the deformed object. This can work for stills but with animation it has its limits as sooner or later you run into rendering artifacts due to the overlapping objects.

We were excited about the vray decals as they have great use cases in our workflow, but they are not a replacement for the built in material stacking, projection solutions. They would work hand in hand.

It would be great if the pin material tag would finaly work in vray 6. It is also important to mention the projector shader hasn't been working since vray 5. In the chaos documentation it's been at partially supported stage for a long time now, but in reality if it's not used in tiled mode it doesn't work. In my experience most of the time it would be used in non-tiled mode (with flat, cubic or frontal projection) so this current implementation defeats the whole purpose of the shader...

There are lot of these small issues and missing built in features that make vray sometimes frustrating to use. Don't get me wrong, We really liked the latest updates that came since vray 6.1, but there are a bunch of built in features that don't have easy alternative solutions. Unfortunately these issues make the creative or artistic approach suffer, because we have to think about workarounds and not about what we want to achieve.

Comment

Hi akos_kiss, as I mentioned above, we will look into the support for the pin material tag.

About the projector shader - it has been marked as partially supported, mostly because not all projection types are supported (the same ones that are not supported from the texture tag), but for the rest of the projections - they should work. Can you provide simple example scenes where the projector shader does not work as expected so we may investigate the reason?

Otherwise I agree with you that V-Ray should support as much of the native workflows as possible. And we are constantly working towards this goal, but we must also take care into integrating other features available in V-Ray. That being said, we greatly appreciate any requests and wishes for support of native workflows, because they help us identify what is necessary for smooth and pleasant usage, so we may prioritize our goals better. Thanks for your feedback.
          Deyan Hadzhiev
          Developer
          chaos.com

Comment

Hello zAppledot,

As you might have already seen in the Announcements section, we just released V-Ray 6 for Cinema4D, Update 2. With it, we introduced many new features and improvements, along with numerous bug fixes.​ We now have added support for the Pin Material tag. You can download the latest builds from here. I hope you will enjoy the new features!​
            Aleksandar Kasabov
            chaos.com

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the quick implementation pin material feature! I will let my colleagues know it is working, i am sure they will be excited to start using it too! I know i am excited to try all the new features in update 2, including the OSL shader support!

Comment

Working...
              X