Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VDB VolumeGrid crashing when rendering as Volumetric Geometry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDB VolumeGrid crashing when rendering as Volumetric Geometry...

Hi, I have some trouble with rendering a VDB (9 MB) in a VolumeGrid as a Volumetric Geometry. It just crashes after rendering 8 frames, both tested locally on my Mac, but also on the render farm (Ryzen PCs).

If I set the VolumeGrid to Volumetric only, it works without crashing. I have tried every possible combination of settings both in render and on the volume.

I really need this to work, as it's the only way to get clouds work with other volume FX like Aerial Perspective.

And of course the deadlines are looming! So much appreciated if there something I can try. (Also did try with the latest nightly build but it has the same crash)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 19.11.39.png
Views:	118
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1196391
    Attached Files

Downloaded a trial of C4D 2024 and the same crash happens when starting on frame 9 I only have a perpetual license of R25

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 20.27.12.png
Views:	114
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1196399

Comment

I tested the exact same setup in Maya 2024, and it also crashes when set to "Volumetric Geometry".

Please note: I have had this working in Cinema 4D on earlier builds of V-Ray 6 (or at least V-Ray 5 if I remember correctly)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 14.16.48.png Views:	0 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	1196422
      Last edited by torebernhoft; 03-12-2023, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Hey, Tore,

Thank you for the report. The issue is already in our bug tracking system and the status is a work in progress. You can try it in the next few days if you can access a stable branch. I am aware of positive news about that.

​Cheers,
        Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
        E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Hey Boyan,

Good news! Thank you!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by boyan View Post
            Hey, Tore,

Thank you for the report. The issue is already in our bug tracking system and the status is a work in progress. You can try it in the next few days if you can access a stable branch. I am aware of positive news about that.

​Cheers,
            boyan Hi there! It's still crashing in the latest version... really frustrating, may have to move to another render engine, but I really don't want to do that

Comment

I found a workaround! Switching to progressive instead of bucket rendering, and it’s not crashing anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X