Remap node spline mapping in vray does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remap node spline mapping in vray does not work

I recorded a video and changing the shape of the spline doesn't seem to have much effect Click image for larger version

Name:	A.png
Views:	235
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	1204024 Click image for larger version

Name:	B.png
Views:	185
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1204025
    Attached Files

I think is a know issue, to have more control you need to add more control points. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-10 alle 11.43.46.png
Views:	149
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1204036
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
      I think is a know issue, to have more control you need to add more control points. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-10 alle 11.43.46.png
Views:	149
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1204036
      Yes, but it's troublesome and not very precise. I still hope to map directly based on the curve

Comment

yes. This has been an issue since 2021 ... my first post regarding this issue. this is really frustrating that the remap curves don't map correctly and vray only takes the control points and does some arbitrary mapping that ignores the tangents or the curve shape. I a bit suspicious about the ramp/ gradient nodes doing the same thing... it would be great if this was fixed in the near furute. as adding more control points if not a solution, just a workaround.

Comment

Do you have any news

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay to respond to this. We are currently in the process of adding this missing functionality.However, since this will be a breaking change to existing scenes, we were wondering on your opinion for the existing implementation. Basically, we must decide if a dedicated option for ignoring spline tangents should be added to the Remap node or not. Do you think this might be useful?
            Deyan Hadzhiev
            Developer
            chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by deyan.hadzhiev View Post
              Hi everyone, sorry for the delay to respond to this. We are currently in the process of adding this missing functionality.However, since this will be a breaking change to existing scenes, we were wondering on your opinion for the existing implementation. Basically, we must decide if a dedicated option for ignoring spline tangents should be added to the Remap node or not. Do you think this might be useful?
              The existing implementation method is linear between each control point, and even adding many control points cannot achieve a soft mapping

Comment

Originally posted by 123456_ View Post

The existing implementation method is linear between each control point, and even adding many control points cannot achieve a soft mapping
                It is linear only when the knots use the Linear option for the interpolation. Otherwise it is something very close to the Cubic option, but it still ignores the tangents.
                Deyan Hadzhiev
                Developer
                chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by deyan.hadzhiev View Post

It is linear only when the knots use the Linear option for the interpolation. Otherwise it is something very close to the Cubic option, but it still ignores the tangents.
                  Yes, now it's the tangent he ignored, so the effect doesn't match the appearance of the spline

Comment

deyan.hadzhiev This is great news! I think if there is a checkbox for "ignore spline tangents" would be great interim solution. If the current interpolation depends in something close to cubic by default i think this is the best solution. On the other hand it could be fine if the remap in the scene was created in a current version of vray reseting the point interpolation to linear is also viable (i have no idea if this "costs" anything during startup or something) . Probably most people used the remap node as if it was using linear interpolation and thus creating a bunch of point on the curve to best match their desired result. But this is only one opinion.
                    My vote is on the ignore spline tangents checkbox

Comment

Working...
                    X