Proxy Object with Vertex Map - file size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy Object with Vertex Map - file size

Hello Chaos help team, I recently worked through something I've been wanting for a while; adding variation to tree leaves using falloff in the vertex map. Its work as expected and I really like the results, however even though the proxy is generated the file size remains as it would if it was the original polygon object. Is this something that could be worked out or did I find an exception to the proxy setup that won't ultimately work. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Hi wolfgang_himmelfarb, can you share exactly which version of V-Ray and Cinema 4D are you using. There was a problem with Proxy objects leaking memory into the scene (mentioned here), but it was fixed with the latest V-Ray version (6.20.02), so please try using it for scenes with V-Ray Proxy.

Additionally, after performing similar local test - it seems the vertex map tags you have left on the object, may still reserve substantial memory. I suppose each tag stores a color value per vertex from the original mesh. Deleting the tags should reduce the scene size.

If you have left the tags so you may use them in the material (by using a Vertex Map shader), it would be best to remove them - they are ignored for Proxy objects anyways. The data you need is already part of the vrmesh as a dedicated map channel, and you can sample this channel by using VRayUserColor or VRayUserScalar shader, by typing the channel name as the "User Attribute". The name should be the same as the name of the Vertex Tag.
    Deyan Hadzhiev
    Developer
    chaos.com

Comment

Working...
    X