X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Sun + Clouds

Hi there
    maybe it's a bug, but if we have clouds activated and hiding the sun source it will reproduce shadows. this should happen only if we have Ground shadows activated, right?
    here is the scene file
    thanks for the update
    best
    nuno
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by viktor_angelov at 06-05-2024, 10:47 PM.

Hi nunomatos, after looking into the documentation, it appears that this is expected behavior. Here is the quote from the docs: "Ground shadows – When disabled, the entire scene is covered by a single shadow or fully illuminated depending on whether the sun is blocked by a cloud at the current camera position."

Additionally, I found a really useful workaround provided by another user here on the forum.

In a quick test I did you can simply add a 2nd matching sun to the scene and uncheck all of the Affect diffuse, specular, etc.,. Then check clouds 'on' for this sun and turn clouds 'off' for the original one. You should also turn the original sun to "invisible". The new render will use the 2nd sun for all reflections and backgrounds but lighting and shading will rely on the first one. May be an option for you.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	1174594 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	1174595 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1174596

Comment

Hi nunomatos, after looking into the documentation, it appears that this is expected behavior. Here is the quote from the docs: "Ground shadows – When disabled, the entire scene is covered by a single shadow or fully illuminated depending on whether the sun is blocked by a cloud at the current camera position."

Additionally, I found a really useful workaround provided by another user here on the forum.

In a quick test I did you can simply add a 2nd matching sun to the scene and uncheck all of the Affect diffuse, specular, etc.,. Then check clouds 'on' for this sun and turn clouds 'off' for the original one. You should also turn the original sun to "invisible". The new render will use the 2nd sun for all reflections and backgrounds but lighting and shading will rely on the first one. May be an option for you.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	1174594 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	1174595 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sun Shadows3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1174596
      Daniel Kapsazov | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Daniel
        thanks so much for the prompt answer
        in fact that's what I did as well as a workaround
        but thanks for that
        best
        nuno

Comment

Working...
        X