Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Film Shader

Hi Devs,
    I noticed the Thin Film shader isn't supported yet (annoyingly I needed to use it today). I just wondered if you had it on the roadmap and when we might be getting it roughly?
    Thanks,
    Tim

Hey KernitTheFont ,

What are you trying to achieve and you need the Thin Film shader for? What is the final result you're looking for? Depending on the case V-Ray might have a better alternative and better way to achieve the effect.
    Ivan Shaykov
    chaos.com

Comment

Just trying to get the soap bubble look for a pitch visual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 16.43.13.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1119759

I ended up just using an oil slick image in the reflectance channel which seemed to work for what I needed:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 16.45.21.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1119760

Also useful for headlight glass:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 16.52.11.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1119761

Comment

The V-Ray Material has a "Refract Thin Walled" parameter under the Refraction group that would enable SSS and make the refraction to be calculated differently for thin surfaces like the bubble you've shown in the example. If you use this parameter combined with a different color/texture for the Reflection and/or mix it with more color/textures in the Coat group alongside different IOR values, you should be able to achieve some interesting results. I would recommend playing with it. It is also useful for creating leaves, curtains etc.

Here is a quick example that I rendered to quickly showcase what could be achieved with this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thin_walled.png Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	1119775
        Last edited by shaio; 16-07-2021, 11:05 AM.
        Ivan Shaykov
        chaos.com

Comment

Thanks Shaio, I'll definitely look at this. However, the Thin Film shader was super quick to use – add the shader, pop a noise into the texture and then all you need to tweak is the thickness setting and noise scale. Will support be brought back at some point?

Comment

Hey KernitTheFont , do you think a similar setup might work for you - single texture, refraction + reflection - for final production I'd probably just slightly animate the pattern, too.
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H7x...TJ12bARC6/view

Name:	thin_film_ame.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1120024
            Last edited by YunalZobu; 20-07-2021, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post
              The V-Ray Material has a "Refract Thin Walled" parameter under the Refraction group that would enable SSS and make the refraction to be calculated differently for thin surfaces like the bubble you've shown in the example. If you use this parameter combined with a different color/texture for the Reflection and/or mix it with more color/textures in the Coat group alongside different IOR values, you should be able to achieve some interesting results. I would recommend playing with it. It is also useful for creating leaves, curtains etc.

Here is a quick example that I rendered to quickly showcase what could be achieved with this.

Click image for larger version Name:	thin_walled.png Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	1119775
              Hey!, Could you can share your setup for this effect?
              Thank You!

Comment

Working...
              X