Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I could wish a tutorial… geometry tag

Hi,
    if I could wish a tutorial, I would go for the geometry tag. Sometimes I have great results, sometimes not.. honestly don‘t always know why and it takes sometimes much time to play around with the settings..
    What‘s the requirements of the texture for best results … linear/non linear | 16 bit / 32 bit | tif / exr…. ? I believe 32 float exr is good… but it is not always available..
    OpenSubDiv or subdivision… or none?

So a few words additional to the documentary or a quick tutorial for dump, would be much appreciated….

Hey haniel1107
    I've noted your request.
    Here is some more information about this topic. The file format doesn't really matter in most cases. What is important is the bit depth since the more color information you have for each pixel the better the final result will be, so 32 bit displacement maps are preferred. It also gives much more flexibility when working with displacement maps if they require additional manipulation inside Cinema 4D (for example, doing color corrections and such). Another important moment, with high bit depth images, is that they can have negative pixel values, and the V-Ray's displacement can take advantage of this, so you can have displacement in both positive and negative direction at the same time. It's needless to say that converting an 8-bit image to a 16 or 32-bit one won't magically give more color and pixel information to the texture, since such information didn't exist in the first place.
    As for the Subdivision options, I'd recommend to use "Subdivision" since it's faster and more memory efficient than OpenSubDiv.
    Ivan Shaykov
    chaos.com

Comment

hello shaio , thank you, much appreciated… I will practise more.. to get a better routine…
      would you prefer advbitmap container and then linear setting… or when would it make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by haniel1107 View Post
        hello shaio
        would you prefer advbitmap container and then linear setting… or when would it make sense?
        If you need more advanced control, then yes it's better to use the V-Ray bitmap, otherwise the Cinema 4D bitmap + linear should work just fine. We're translating them to V-Ray Bitmaps under the hood anyways.
        Ivan Shaykov
        chaos.com

Comment

shaio

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X