Subdivision at render time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdivision at render time

I am currently wondering if it is possible to subdivide render geometry at render time with vray for houdini like it is possible in mantra
    Maybe I am blind but I haven't found any option regarding this.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Hey there,

there's the Render as Subdivision option on the Displacement VOP / Displacement Properties on the shelf. Would that work for you ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	forum_1049162_renderTimeSubdivide.png
Views:	916
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	1049179
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thank you Gosho. That is exactly what I was looking for
      While it is definitely neat to have it as part of the the material. Would it be possible to also add it to the vray object properties?
      Cheers,
      Oliver

Comment

Hey ralphr,

this toggle is already available in the shelf tools - it is part of the Displacement Properties. Is there a particular reason you'd prefer it to be placed in the Object Properties instead ?

Cheers!
        gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

In all honesty just personal laziness.For example If I have multiple mats in one object. So I don't have to add a displacement properties and change the setting for every material inside the same context.
          A toggle would just need to be flipped once and everything inside would be affected.
          Cheers,
          Oliver

Comment

ralphr, that's exactly what "Displacement Properties" do.
            V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
            andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
            Support Request

Comment

That is my bad then. I understood it completely wrong. I thought it adds a displacement material for some reason. I apologize! Please ignore my request
              Cheers,
              Oliver

Comment

Mokiki bdancer To be honest, i was also confused with this displace/subdiv mechanic when i fist time used it. Mostly because i realized it`s still affected by the edge/pixel length, it adaptability subdivides base on distance to camera or world space(view dep. off). In this aspect it`s behaving as displacement with intensity set to 0.
                Which makes sense(technology/code wise), but same time confuse users, because it`s on the displacement tab and changing displacement properties actually affect it.
                Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net

Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com

Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

Comment

Originally posted by psanitra View Post
                  Which makes sense(technology/code wise), but same time confuse users, because it`s on the displacement tab and changing displacement properties actually affect it.
                  Part of the heritage: in Max, one modifier controls all the options to turn a standard piece of geo into a dynamic one (via subdivision or displacement. Although those too can now be made static.).
                  There are options for discrete subdivision, though, instead of screen-space.
                  Last edited by ^Lele^; 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM.
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                  X