[HOU-3693] Instance Workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOU-3693] Instance Workflow

Does the s@instancefile workflow work in Vray? with a .bgeo on-disk and an instance geo node? I have not been able to make it work.

Hey hsz ,

at the moment we support @instance and @instancepath - both should point to a Geo node.

In general, if you're instancing a large variety of objects, I suggest using alembic - .bgeo is a native Houdini format which at moment can not be loaded on-demand by V-Ray from disk and is always baked into the VRScene. This means that there is no difference between rendering live geometry straight from your scene, or saving it as .bgeo to disk.

Hope that helps!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thank You, Gosho!

Comment

Hello everybody,
        I tried the workflow described in this tutorial (basically time offsetting file cache on instances). And it is strangely broken. It somehow does not get updated through the animation - render produces different results based on the frame you start it. And none of them is unfortunately right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5xKi0r8DA&t=337s

Does this work for anyone or it is just me?

Comment

> Does this work for anyone or it is just me?

Or this particular setup, so it's better to send us a scene if possible.
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by Gosho.Genchev View Post
            Hey hsz ,

.bgeo is a native Houdini format which at moment can not be loaded on-demand by V-Ray from disk
            Is this a feature that may be implemented in the future? I would love to stick to .bgeo files and load them on demand if needed.

Comment

It would be amazing if we could have on demand support for bgeo files since a single file cache node could serve a dual purpose as actually caching your network, but also instancing with vray.

Comment

Working...
              X