Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Fixed) [HOU-3430] Shadow/light falloff or gradient ramp 'Lighting' type no working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Fixed) [HOU-3430] Shadow/light falloff or gradient ramp 'Lighting' type no working?

Hi everyone

Recently using vray in Houdini - but finding it difficult to recreate and isolate areas of shaders that i would typically be able to build in 3dsmax using the falloff map set to shadow/light (this is missing in the houdini build).
    I have also tried using the Vray gradient ramp node and set it to 'lighting- the docs say this responds to lighting/intensity but it i havnt been able to get anything working so far.

I would like to be able to isolate the highlights and shadows. Any one have some insight into this?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 29-09-2022, 04:34 AM.

Hi PUFFBALL ,
    Falloff with Shadow\Light is supported only in 3dsmax.
    The way to do it in Houdini is V-Ray Surface Luminance connected as a mask to V-Ray Mix.
    Last edited by chakarov; 25-06-2020, 01:16 AM.
    Georgy Chakarov | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com
    georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

@chakarov Ah this is excellent - thank-you for pointing me to that. Did you earlier say it was broken in the build? Im using a 17.5 build and its working fine.
      Im still not sure what the lighting mode on the gradient ramp does however. Is there an equivalent setting to Redshifts gradient ramp 'Alt' input so it doesnt use the default UV set?

Comment

Originally posted by PUFFBALL View Post
        @chakarov Ah this is excellent - thank-you for pointing me to that. Did you earlier say it was broken in the build? Im using a 17.5 build and its working fine.
        Yes I said it, but it's not exactly right. Surface Luminance not working when connected directly to diffuse slot for example. But should be fixed soon.

You could connect any V-Ray UV VOP to uvwgen input of any texture in order to change how textures are mapped on surface.
        Georgy Chakarov | QA
        www.chaosgroup.com
        georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

ok cool thanks. The surface luminance is working connected to the vraymix as you suggested - however when i then add a vray tex remap to tighten the falloff - it seems to break again. There is no output when i move the remap points.

EDIT: Actually it does work - but seems to be an absolute value issue. The black point cannot be a value of 0/pure black - but a tiny value of 0.001 and then the remapping works as expected
          Last edited by PUFFBALL; 25-06-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X