Vray Proxy with groups for Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Proxy with groups for Materials

My Goal is to reduce the file size of vrscenes.

For that I saved out some of the geometry in the vrscene as proxys. That reduces my file size a lot but I loose the possibility to assign different materials to groups etc. I can only assign one material to the whole proxy after that.

Is there some technique to achieve something like in the example picture? To save out the proxy and then assign different materials and create the vrscene.

kind regards
    Jon
    Attached Files

1. To assign multiple materials to proxy use "VRay Proxy Material"
    2. Better use Alembic, we support "shop_materialpath" attribute on Alembics (you'll need to force material export on ROP for now, will be improved).
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Uh nice. That sounds good. I will have a look at this.
      Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
        (you'll need to force material export on ROP for now, will be improved).
        may I ask you to be more specific about that? I can get it to work with proxy and proxymaterial but not with alembic.

alembic workflow would be to import the alembic with vrayProxyImport right? And it should read the primitive attribute shop_materialpath and render it with correct materials if they are in the scene?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jon3D; 04-08-2020, 09:48 AM. Reason: messed up quotes

Comment

1. Set shop_materialpath on the geomety (basically u just apply material with the material node).
          2. Bake geometry to abc.
          3. Load abc back to Houdini to the same scene (so that shop_materialpath is valid e.g. points to valid material nodes).
          4. Force materials that are used in shop_materialpath in ROP objects tab (this way those material will be availabe render time / inside vrscene)
          5. Now if u render, it'll load alembic and apply materials render time using values in shop_materialpath.

There are also some forum topic regarding this feature.
          Last edited by bdancer; 04-08-2020, 09:59 AM.
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

Sorry I missunderstood the force material on ROP in your first post. It works now.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X