No announcement yet.

vray scene from max to Houdini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha Guillaume - when I import, it's breaking each object into individual polygons rather than separating objects out which is a little unhelpful, I'd love some kind of "unpack to objects" instead. Very early days for me so tonnes of reading to do!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      Gotcha Guillaume - when I import, it's breaking each object into individual polygons rather than separating objects out which is a little unhelpful, I'd love some kind of "unpack to objects" instead. Very early days for me so tonnes of reading to do!
      would be nice to also beeing able to select only some object.
      I think about the node give us a list where we can select only what we want to import.
      GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
      freelance 3D artist
      www.ghiom.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking about how vray proxy works and has an object list so you can turn things on and off. In my case specifically, I'm trying to import a gigantic city from 3dsmax as it has to be interacted with by houdini water. Some of it is going to be swept along so it'd be amazing to have the option of turning off an object in one cache and keeping it on in a duplicate.

Comment

Hi ghiom3d , when exporting a vrscene from 3dsmax you have an option to separate vrscene to files e.g. geometry,materials, LIGHTS... , so one way is to export only lights in a separate vrscene and import it in houdini. Other option is to load the vrscene twice, one for unpacking to polygons and one with "Load Objects" OFF

Click image for larger version

Name:	max2houdini_lightsOnly.png
Views:	208
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1117836Click image for larger version

Name:	max2houdini_lightsOnly2.png
Views:	190
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1117837
          Georgy Chakarov | QA
          www.chaosgroup.com
          georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

That's a cool trick but this way we can not edit the lights, right?
            So a way to convert vrscene lights to houdini vray lights would be much more apreciated
            Something like import material but with lights.

Same with cameras.
            Last edited by gagui; 01-03-2024, 05:27 AM.
            www.gaell.com

Comment

Hey gagui ,

A rather straightforward approach to achieving this would be to parse the VRScene with a python script and essentially re-create the lights in Houdini. I just tried asking a certain infamous 3.5 model on the web to see how it would perform the task of writing such a script, and to my surprise, the output was looking promising. I'd definitely give that a shot.

Just a couple of things to note here:
              1) lights in the VRScene are named Light{something}, e.g. LightDome --> to re-create them in Houdini, you'd need to ask for hou.node('/obj').createNode('VRayNodeLightDome')
              2) to take care of the transforms, you'd need to either disable the HEX encoding during export in 3ds Max, or de-hex the scene yourself. And then put the transforms on the newly created lights in Houdini
              3) if you have shading networks attached to the lights somehow, you'd need to take care of this, too

Best regards!
              gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gosho.Genchev View Post
                Hey gagui ,

A rather straightforward approach to achieving this would be to parse the VRScene with a python script and essentially re-create the lights in Houdini. I just tried asking a certain infamous 3.5 model on the web to see how it would perform the task of writing such a script, and to my surprise, the output was looking promising. I'd definitely give that a shot.

Just a couple of things to note here:
                1) lights in the VRScene are named Light{something}, e.g. LightDome --> to re-create them in Houdini, you'd need to ask for hou.node('/obj').createNode('VRayNodeLightDome')
                2) to take care of the transforms, you'd need to either disable the HEX encoding during export in 3ds Max, or de-hex the scene yourself. And then put the transforms on the newly created lights in Houdini
                3) if you have shading networks attached to the lights somehow, you'd need to take care of this, too

Best regards!
                You better use USD for this

Comment

Yup,

In general, for cross-DCC compatibility, USD seems to be the way to go - which is why it is unlikely we will have the opportunity to implement some sort of advanced VRScene import on top of what is already available. Simply put, it would be redundant.

Best regards!
                  gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gosho.Genchev View Post
                    Yup,

In general, for cross-DCC compatibility, USD seems to be the way to go - which is why it is unlikely we will have the opportunity to implement some sort of advanced VRScene import on top of what is already available. Simply put, it would be redundant.

Best regards!
                    yes, I think better to invest time in USD developing, as in long run it will be crutiacl in chosing software that help you semalessly work beetween aprlications and whole team in the same time

Comment

Working...
                    X