Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (open)[HOU-3508]Emit light from Points using shading as color

Hi,

Is it possible to emit lights from points and drive the color of the each light with a shading network on the points?
    It would need to be direct illumination and not GI/Self Illumination.

Best,
    Jacob
    Jacob Børsting
    Head of Pipeline @ Ghost VFX

You could compute the color as Cd, then just use the instancer to replace the points with lights.

Comment

But I want to drive it with a shading network using multiple ramps and user attributes
      Jacob Børsting
      Head of Pipeline @ Ghost VFX

Comment

I guess you can do all that stuff in a wrangle easily enough.

sorry I don’t know of another way with shaders

Comment

Hi jbvfx , V-Ray LightMtl with Direct Illumination ON, does not support points, you should copy spheres over points. But looks like there is an issue wen using attribute as color multiplier for LightMtl, I've logged it in our system. For now, only solution I can give you is to do your @Cd and @intensity manipulations via VEX/VOP and use instancing of LightSphere.
          Last edited by chakarov; 10-11-2022, 12:29 PM.
          Georgy Chakarov | QA
          www.chaosgroup.com
          georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by jbvfx View Post
            But I want to drive it with a shading network using multiple ramps and user attributes
            Hey

You could try to do that but in SOPs, using the an instance node with points and the "Cd" attribute like Dubbie99 suggested (just make sure to force the attributes with the object properties) and also the "intensity" attribute, just manipulate the attributes as you would in the shading network with wrangles, remaps, etc.
            But I have to say that a similar request came up already in talks we had with Gosho.Genchev.

You can do this with mesh lights (just make sure to force those attributes with object properties), and you could also try to use a light material and toggle the "Direct Illumination" option with point rendering, but honestly none of these will be as fast and optimised as the sphere lights instanced.

Best,
            David.
            Attached Files
            David Anastácio // Accenture Song - VFX
            https://www.accenture.com/us-en/serv...visual-effects

Comment

Working...
            X