Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HOU-3578] Volume Grid Rendering Speed in H19.5 Compared to Maya 2023 and VRay 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOU-3578] Volume Grid Rendering Speed in H19.5 Compared to Maya 2023 and VRay 6

I have a VDB sequence of a fire simulation, which takes around 1min in Maya to render and over 3min in Houdini. I double checked all settings and I am using the same camera and light setup.
    Is there any obvious reason for this? Is the jump from vray5 to 6 accelerating this much? Never had the feeling before in Maya from 5 to 6.

I am rendering in LOPS through Husk.
    Last edited by doppelgaengerdigital; 28-11-2022, 11:58 AM.

I figured out what caused the speed differences. It was because I exported from Maya Bifrost Aero to Houdini, and the change in scale. I had to compensate the scaling in the Volume Grid Shader Step % and Shadow Step %
    This way the noise threshold and rendertimes act normal again.

The question is, thy the settings have to be adjusted anyway?

Comment

So this is weird. If I export a Houdini Pyro Sim to VDB and scale it up in Maya to match Houdini scale, it renders blazing fast in Maya. But over in Houdini the rendertimes are huge argain. Same light setup and rendersettings applied. Vray 6, latest Maya 2023.3, latest Houdini 19.5.435.

Please help me on what I am missing here.

Comment

I found that in houdini vray volume rendering was always weirdly slow. I couldn't compare that to maya until recently (because we had no current vray maya lics). But now I can and I have to say the difference in general renderspeed and snappiness of ipr when using volumes in maya is so much better than in houdiini vray that there must be something not right there. This really needs to be looked into.

Comment

Cool that you guys brought this up, I noticed some render time discrepancy between rendering inside Houdini vs rendering in the farm (V-Ray standalone).

Here's the same frame rendered locally and in the farm, same exact everything, and the farm render uses the same hardware specification as the workstation I rendered the local version.

Local render: 7m 48s
          Click image for larger version

Name:	volumes_local.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1168461

Farm render: 2m 50s

Name:	volumes_farm.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1168462

This should definitly be looked at Gosho.Genchev

Best,
          David.
          Attached Files
          David Anastácio // Accenture Song - VFX
          https://www.accenture.com/us-en/serv...visual-effects

Comment

hey guys!

I found out, that when I disable Probabilistic Volumes in Maya I get the same speed and behaviour as in Houdini, which suggests that something in Houdini is wrong. Please see this thread:
            https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...litting-broken

Hope we can sort this out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by david.anastacio View Post
              Cool that you guys brought this up, I noticed some render time discrepancy between rendering inside Houdini vs rendering in the farm (V-Ray standalone).

Here's the same frame rendered locally and in the farm, same exact everything, and the farm render uses the same hardware specification as the workstation I rendered the local version.

Local render: 7m 48s

Name:	volumes_local.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1168461

Farm render: 2m 50s

Name:	volumes_farm.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1168462

This should definitly be looked at Gosho.Genchev

Best,
              David.
              It would appear both you and doppelgaengerdigital are right - the export is correct so running the VRScene through Standalone would give you much faster render times. For some reason the probabilistic option is not used for the GUI/VFB rendering inside of Houdini.

I'm logging it now and we'll fix this ASAP.

Best regards!
              gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
              X