Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing frames used in animated image texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing frames used in animated image texture?

Probably a stupid question--I have a two-frame image sequence for a texture, with frames 1 and 2 in the file names. If I see them at frames 1 and 2 of the shot, they work as expected. I don't want them to switch until frame 357, though, and none of the frame override fields seem to be doing anything--I think I've tried every option and number except ping-pong and frames 1 and 2 are great but everything is black afterwards. (I don't want to convert this to a 900-frame image sequence of just two images.) I assume it'd be range, start 1, offset 356, speed 1, length 2, but I can't get those or any other combo to work. Any help is appreciated.

I guess you could hack this by adding geometry attribute like <my_frame> (of type string) and set it to whatever value you need and then use this tag instead of frame tag in the image file path.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Where would I reference that in the image node? How would that be different than the many, many numbers I've been manually typing in?

Comment

> Where would I reference that in the image node?

In the file name, e.g. texture_<my_frame>.png

> How would that be different than the many, many numbers I've been manually typing in?

You don't need to type many many numbers, you could use attrwrangler/VEX adding primitive attr:
        Code:
        if ($FF == 1 || $FF == 2) {
            s@my_frame = "00${FF}";
        }
        else if ($FF < 357) {
            s@my_frame = "002";
        }
        else {
            s@my_frame = "001";
        }​
        You'll also need to force "my_frame" attribute via "V-Ray Object Properties".
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

Perfect, thanks! I was crashing at first, but found out that trick apparently doesn't work with GPU rendering. (That's okay, CPU is actually faster for this project anyway.)

Comment

Working...
          X