Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Decal Houdini

Hi,

Is there a way to get access to the decal projection box from the Vray decal node in Houdini?

What I want to do is be able to edit the project geometry or connect custom geometry to use as the projection shape.

It would be a fast and easy way to assign different shaders to complex objects and could be animated.

If this isnt yet possible, what it needs is an input for the node where you can connect a shape to override/replace the size parameter.

Hey MarkWalker ,

The Decal object will inherit the @pscale attribute when copied over template points. The orientation (either from @N or @orient) will also be inherited.

We added support for COP networks as the Decal Mask so you could use a Geometry COP to create a 2D projection of any piece of geometry and use that as the Decal Mask.
    The "vray_decal_mask" attribute is also exposed as a per-primitive string value that you can modify using e.g. a Wrangle SOP.

I've added a screenshot below showing this. I suppose you could wrap that up in an HDA that fits your needs and build the workflow you're looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	houdinifx_2023-12-21_13-14-49.png
Views:	168
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1198345

Best regards!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Ahh I see, thankyou for that. Yeah I'm going to need to build a hda that makes it a quick easy task.
      I do archviz for commercial and industrial and I'm switching from Maya to Houdini so I can automate more of my workflow. I've built a complex hda that builds warehouses fully automatically. Colours for warehouses are often changed by the client, im Maya it takes 2sec to quickly cut in some edges and shade the faces. But in Houdini I want to maintain the procedural workflow. I thought I can use decal to quickly knock up some boxes and use them as a template to project the colours on the warehouse cladding. Client comments are usually just change the angle of the stripe or move it along, so easy to do if its projected I can just move the points of the projection geo etc.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey MarkWalker ,

Makes sense If there's anything that comes to mind that we can help with, don't hesitate to ping us.

Best regards!
        gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
        X