Hi guys,

I am getting these console errors.
    Any clues? Help appreciated.

VFH [Error] * Python evaluation error: "No module named vray"
    VFH [Error] * Traceback (most recent call last):
    VFH [Error] * File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    VFH [Error] * ImportError: No module named vray
    VFH [Info] * Build number:6567 hash:9c76421 from 02 Mar 2020 05:03
    PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'houdini' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\houdini'
    PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'partitioners' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\partitioners'
    PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'schedulers' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\schedulers'
    PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'utils' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\utils'

houdini.env vray section....

# V-Ray for Houdini Begin
    #
    VFH_ROOT="C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\Vray\Houdini 18.0.391"

VRAY_APPSDK="${VFH_ROOT}/appsdk"
    VRAY_OSL_PATH="${VRAY_APPSDK}/bin"
    VRAY_UI_DS_PATH="${VFH_ROOT}/ui"
    VFH_HOME="${VFH_ROOT}/vfh_home"
    VFH_PATH="${VFH_HOME}/bin;${VRAY_APPSDK}/bin"

PATH="${VFH_PATH};${PATH}"
    HOUDINI_PATH="${VFH_HOME};${HOUDINI_PATH};&"

HOUDINI13_VOLUME_COMPATIBILITY=1
    HDF5_DISABLE_VERSION_CHECK=1
    #
    # V-Ray for Houdini End

Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 06-04-2020, 06:37 AM.

Hey, Jim,

the support team will contact you back with info on resolving this. Long story short - after we added support for Post-Translate scripts on the Renderer ROP, the PYTHONPATH environment variable needs to be modified like this:

PYTHONPATH="${VRAY_APPSDK}/python27;${PYTHONPATH}"

Hope that helps!
    gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks for responding so quick.

I am unsure where to put this. Everywhere I put it, I am not getting any change.
      Support told me to put this in ... PYTHONPATH="${INSTALL_ROOT}/appsdk/python27" which when I looked at it, I changed INSTALL_ROOT to VRAY_APPSDK as that made sense....
      ...still nothing changed. Still lots of errors.

Not sure what effects the errors are having, whether it is causing other problems in Vray?

Comment

Hey, Jim,

first off, did you use the installer to deploy V-Ray for Houdini on your machine ? If so, please remove the houdini.env file from your documents/houdiniXx.X folder. The installer creates a vray_for_houdini.json file under the packages folder in the Houdini install directory. This json file contains all the environment variables needed to start V-Ray.

If you have both the environment file and the json file loading the same dlls, Houdini will crash.

Now, assuming you have either one or the other:
        1. If you're using the json file, you do not need to add anything - there's a PYTHONPATH key already present, or
        2. If using the environment file, add PYTHONPATH="${VRAY_APPSDK}/python27;${PYTHONPATH}" at the end of the houdini.env file

Hope that helps!

Comment

I just grabbed the nightly and dropped the folder on the C drive, pathed it correctly I believe and got Vray working. No install, I copied and edited my houdini.env from my trial Vray on my Laptop so it makes sense.
          Maybe that is an issue. I will try popping the PYTHONPATH on the end of the env and see.

Thank you very much !

[EDIT]

Still getting the errors. I remove the relevant section from the env and try an installer and see where that gets me.

VFH [Info] * Build number:6567 hash:9c76421 from 02 Mar 2020 05:03
          PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'houdini' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\houdini'
          PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'partitioners' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\partitioners'
          PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'schedulers' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\schedulers'
          PDG Type Registry: Failed to import duplicate module 'utils' which was previously imported from 'C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.391/houdini/pdg/types\utils'

Comment

Hi Jim Meston , I'm having same problem on my side, I fixed it by "deleting" the "houdini18.0" folder in Documents. May be some of the settings there causes it. Didn't dig too much because I don't have anything special and important, it might be particular desktop or something.
            Georgy Chakarov | QA
            www.chaosgroup.com
            georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

I am not using a json file or an installer so i don't want to vape my env file....

Comment

Hey, Jim, I've attached my env file with the environment variables for Renderman, Redshift, Deadline and MOPs - it's not throwing any V-Ray errors for me. Can you please give it a shot to see if it's working on your end ?

Cheers!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 05-03-2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

my small tests with 18.0.391

blank houdini.env with only one line
                  HOUDINI_PATH="${HOUDINI_PATH};&" + installed SideFX Labs - > PDG Type Registry: Failed to import ... bla bla bla ...

HOUDINI_PATH="${HOUDINI_PATH};&" + uninstalled SideFX Labs - > no duplicate error on start
                  HOUDINI_PATH="${HOUDINI_PATH};" + installed SideFX Labs - > no duplicate error on start
                  HOUDINI_PATH="&" + installed SideFX Labs - > no duplicate error on start

Comment

Ok Gosho, I tried pretty much exactly that. Except I put PYTHONPATH="${VRAY_APPSDK}/python27;${PYTHONPATH}" at the end, not 2 lines before the end.

I installed the 30 day trial for 17.5.258 at home. It killed my internal help browser. This is from the installer link given to me from Support.
                    I installed a purchased licence for 18.0391 at wok. It gives errors, but is fully functional as a renderer, but It also kills the help browser (F1).

Removing the vray section from my 17.5 env, allows the help to work, but throws lots of python errors.
                    Running the uninstaller, and uninstalling chaos server, allows the help to work fully with no errors.

Surely there is just a link to an installer that works? Is it just me? Do I have to install python or something?

Comment

Is anyone experiencing the same help browser issue?
                      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                      Support Request

Comment

for me internal browser "broken" long tome ago if ${VFH_PATH} before ${PATH}
                        PATH="${VFH_PATH};${PATH}"
                        vs
                        PATH="${PATH};${VFH_PATH}"

Comment

Jim Meston, could u try DmitriiP suggestion? Btw, if you are using the installer you don't need to modify the .env file (installer generates a json package file) because this will load plugin multiple times and actually break stuff.
                          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                          Support Request

Comment

Thanks bdancer. On Monday morning I will try the above env change. If that fails, I will uninstall / manually remove chaos group files... Restart and then try the latest installer so I don't have to juggle with the env. Fingers crossed.

We had IT going through our firewall n antivirus for hours trying to track this down. Hopefully it will get sorted as I use the help on the 5 minute regular for vex etc. And the external help is slower.

Thank you to everyone for your help. If is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Update.

Got it working properly for 17.5.
                              The issue was they linked me to 17.5.293 version and gave me instructions to edit the batch files.
                              In the folder is an example houdini.env which gives instructions to append the env vars etc to the end of the houdini.env file.
                              So I just did followed the env file edit. For some reason it screws up. If I just edit the batch file and run that it works.
                              I think some clearer idiot proof instructions might be useful in future.

Will find out about the nightlies for 18.0.391 tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X