v-ray not rendering .bgeo sequences when instanced in MOPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-ray not rendering .bgeo sequences when instanced in MOPS

V-Ray seems to not render .bgeo sequences when instanced from disk in the MOPS instancer. Is this by design or a bug? They show in the viewport but don't show in the v-ray renders

I'll need a scene to check.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Sure. We've tried .abc files as well (included) but for some reason the UV's aren't coming through. We can reference the .bgeo in the instancer using SOP or Object, but that doesn't give us access to the frames (which we need for animation) we also tried unpacking which DOES work but we can't do that as our scene is way too heavy for that. So basically need a way to render the .b

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oggnoadjw7..._bgeo.zip?dl=0

(by the way, is there any way to have this forum NOT kick me off so quickly? I literally got kicked off simply typing the sentences above. Always happens to me)

Comment

.bgeo format is not directly supported so it'll be unpacked into vrscene, but I'll check the scene anyway.
        Last edited by bdancer; 28-03-2020, 05:00 AM.
        Support Request

Comment

> We've tried .abc files as well (included) but for some reason the UV's aren't coming through.

There is smth with how you bake .abc, I've saved abc myself with Alembic ROP and I have UVs.
          Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
            .bgeo format is not directly supported so it'll be unpacked into vrscene, but I'll check the scene anyway.
            Making .vrscene files is a last resort for this shot as it will take forever with this particular (and others in the show). If .bgeo was supported we'd be done!

Comment

> We've tried .abc files as well (included) but for some reason the UV's aren't coming through.

There is smth with how you bake .abc, I've saved abc myself with Alembic ROP and I have UVs.
              Yes, there was something wrong with those .abc files as we've since discovered and fixed. But we've discovered another issue with using .abc files. For some reason vray isn't reading the scale attribute for the instances. We can "fix" that by putting a convert or unpack, but that is a killer. See attached. Note that everything looks correct in the viewport. The 'no convert' is a render of the .vrscene generated without the convert node. So we're actually making a .vrscene of a scene that looks correct in the viewport, but renders differently. This scene is too complicated to upload but I can see if I can make a simpler scene that shows the problem.
              Attached Files

Comment

> If .bgeo was supported we'd be done!

This won't be implemented in near future, especially if .abc is already supported.

> For some reason vray isn't reading the scale attribute for the instances.

Which scale attribute? Instancer point attribute? You mean pscale then? Scale attribute inside abc?

> I can see if I can make a simpler scene that shows the problem.

This will be helpful.
                Support Request

Comment

Thanks, yeah I'm not sure how the scale is being set, I assume pscale (I didn't set up the scene, I'm just trying to figure why it's not rendering) so I'll see if I can get the artist on here who did. But it definitely is right in the viewport and different in the v-ray render. In the above pics, the non 'convert' image is how the viewport looks. And whether we make a .vrscene or not, unless we stick the convert in there at the end of the chain (which doesn't change how the viewport looks) the v-ray render comes out looking different than the viewport. It looks like it's not respecting the scale that's getting set on the .abc files in the instancer

Comment

I'll need a scene for this since I can't make it scaling in viewport by setting scale/pscale on points or primitives...
                    Support Request

Comment

Ok, here is a scene. Unfortunately this doesn't show the scaling problem as we've been unable to isolate it in a simple scene. However this DOES show the UV's not being read. Compare to the Redshift render (included). The only way to get the v-ray to render the same as the Redshift is to use an unpack, which we REALLY don't want to do as the actual scene is quite heavy. Hopefully whatever the solution is to the unpack problem will lead us to the solution for the scaling problem we're having as well in the actual scene.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fibmqymkzc...npack.zip?dl=0

Comment

Tnx! This will be fixed in the next nightly.
                        Support Request

Comment

However, there is smth with the normals, but you could fix this with attribute wrangler on abc primitives "i@compute_normals=1;"
                          Support Request

Comment

Tnx! This will be fixed in the next nightly.
                            Spectacular news! So that will be the next build after "2020-03-30", correct?

Comment

I've started the rebuild, should be there in a few hours.
                              Still will be nice to fix the scale issue you've mentioned.
                              Support Request

Comment

Working...
                              X