Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray on Linux (AWS): .dso errors

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy a render to AWS, using Deadline + V-Ray 4.3 + Houdini 18.0.348. While following all the install instructions (vray from zipfile), using a nightly build, I'm still getting a lot of dso related errors, like this:

STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on
    '/path/to/some/file.dso'

The list extends for a lot of the same dso errors.

Is there any other configuration to do on linux, other than setting the usual houdini.env variables ?

Thank you.

> STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/path/to/some/file.dso'

Could you pls attach the exact error log?

> The list extends for a lot of the same dso errors.

I as understand not only V-Ray related messages or?

> Is there any other configuration to do on linux, other than setting the usual houdini.env variables ?

Generally - no; but depending on setup LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be needed, but I would like to see the exact error log first.
    Also setting HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR=2 may help in resolving this, it'll print more info related to Houdini plugins loading.
    Last edited by bdancer; 09-04-2020, 10:24 AM.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

ah you are right! the errors are not related to v-ray only (I looked at the first line and assumed it was, sorry):

2020-04-09 17:50:09: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/home/ec2-user/vray_adv_43001_houdini18.0.348/vfh_home/dso/vray_for_houdini.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:09: 0: STDOUT: libHoudiniUI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniAPPS1.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: libXss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniAPPS2.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: libXss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniAPPS3.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniDEVICE.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniGEO.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Missing version information.
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: When creating custom operators with the HDK, remember to
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: #include <UT/UT_DSOVersion.h> to define the required version information.
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Houdini DSO error on '/opt/hfs18.0.348/dsolib/libHoudiniHAPIL.so'
      2020-04-09 17:50:13: 0: STDOUT: Missing version information.

(log is too long to post here, so I truncated to the above lines)

I have tried adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /etc/environment but that also doesn't solve the problem. Anyway I'm guessing I'll need to rework on my configurations..not sure what is happening right now.
      thanks

Comment

We were getting dso errors when installing Houdini on the latest Cent OS in headless mode - there were similar errors for missing (albeit different) libraries. Eventually one of the linux guys here stepped in and did his Linux magic to download them.

Can you please try running Houdini with a clean setup (no tweaks to the home/documents/houdini18.0/houdini.env file and clean install_dir/packages folder). If you're still getting errors, it might be best to turn to SideFX for assistance.

Cheers!
        gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Those errors are completely not related to V-Ray for Houdini.

> libHoudiniUI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This seems like a wrong install / env. setup.
          Have you tried using houdini_setup script shipped with Houdini?
          On Linux I'm usually doing this in my shell setup file:
          Code:
          cd /opt/hfs18.0
          source houdini_setup
          > libXss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You just need to google this message and figure out which package the file is coming from...
          For centos it'll be:
          Code:
          yum install libXScrnSaver
          Last edited by bdancer; 10-04-2020, 05:34 AM.
          Support Request

Comment

thank you for all the info! I'm recreating the aws AMI since something obviously went wrong with this setup.

Comment

If you are still getting this libHoudiniUI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory:
              1. Try today's nightly, I've change linkage on Linux a bit to workaround this error.
              2. If 1 won't help try adding
              Code:
              export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/hfs18.0/dsolib
              to your env.
              Support Request

Comment

Thank you for looking into this! really appreciated.

I ended up having to switch tasks temporarily. But I'll try it as soon as I get back to configuring AWS.

Comment

Working...
                X