Proxy preview Point Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy preview Point Cloud

Not sure if this is a vray problem or a houdini problem. But usually vrayproxy has a point cloud preview option (at least in 3dsmax), which helps a lot orientating the objects. However in houdini i don't see that option. And it makes it impossible to orient 30mil poly meshes when scattered several times.

Embed alembic loader has a point cloud option but it doesn't have a percentage threshold, so it's useless since a 30mil poly mesh has millions of points.

Is there a workaround for this?

Video reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4_...ture=emb_title
    Last edited by Moriah; 27-04-2020, 11:19 AM.

I don see point cloud preview in 3dsmax... There is preview faces mode and we have the same in Houdini.
    Have you tried increasing preview faces count?
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Increasing to 100.000 faces is still not ideal. Attached is a screenshot.
      This is when loading a .abc file and not a .vrmesh (vrmesh is actually very slow to export compared to abc , so it's not usable in this case)

But even with .vrmesh there's an option for point cloud size, but when importing there should be a point cloud preview no?

Yes my bad, that point cloud feature is when we input a vrayproxy via forest pack. I would LOVE to have that feature inside vray, specially in Houdini since there's no scattering tool that has this feature.

Comment

> vrmesh is actually very slow to export compared to abc , so it's not usable in this case

You mean scene export or proxy file export itself?
        If scene export when using VRayProxy Import then could you send me a scene? There should be no difference.

> But even with .vrmesh there's an option for point cloud size

Afair this controls particles size, but I need to check.

> but when importing there should be a point cloud preview no

We'll think about it.
        Last edited by bdancer; 28-04-2020, 04:48 AM.
        Support Request

Comment

> Increasing to 100.000 faces is still not ideal. Attached is a screenshot.

And I was talking about preview faces on Import node not Export one.
          Support Request

Comment

> And I was talking about preview faces on Import node not Export one.

Yes, the second screen is the import node with 100.000 preview faces of a 23mil poly mesh.

Anyway, i tried asking on houdini's discord and official forum and there's no solution for this "problem" right now.

If Vray could implement a point cloud mesh preview on the vrayproxy loader that would be amazing. Ideally both with vrmesh AND abc

Comment

Working...
            X