No announcement yet.

(Fixed) [HOU-2066] OpenSubdiv At Rendertime scrambling material prim assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Fixed) [HOU-2066] OpenSubdiv At Rendertime scrambling material prim assignment

Hi,

whenever i have multiple materials assigned to particular facees/prims, if i then at rendertime enable Open Subdivisions, the materials and the faces they should be assigned to get scrambled up.

anyone have any ideas how to do this properly? i cant see anyone else having the same issue, so assume im being stupid, as this is a hugely common thing to do, work with lowres model, assign materials to parts, then at object level subdivide at rendertime to get smooth borders and model and keep parts with correct materials.

help hugely appreciated as its main reason i cant use it on a project right now. got a whole field of sunflowers to copy over a landscape(not instanced) and so cant afford to subdivide at sop level and make all the models heavy. each sunflower is different and deformed separately hence the problem, i cant instance.

thanks
    J

Well, there is obviously no workaround for that, it has to be fixed in core, so a scene may help fixing this...
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Hey the_one_j , as Andrei already mentioned, we'll need to fix this. I've reproduced the issue and logged it so you'll be informed when we have a solution.

If you don't need the creasing functionality that OpenSubdiv provides, caching your geometry to Alembic should do the trick - the Subdivision toggle on the Object Properties -> Open Subdiv tab will also work with alembics. Instancing of alembics also works the same as live geometry so hopefully that will do the trick until we have a fix.

Best regards!
      Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 31-07-2020, 09:51 AM.
      gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

thanks guys for the quick feedback. Cant wait for this to be implemented! look forward to start using Vray on our projects again after the update!

Comment

Hey the_one_j ,

the problem is fixed in the latest nightly builds. We also hit a minor issue with creases that may not affect you if you're not looking to use those. We'll take care of it as soon as possible.
          The material scrambling problem should be resolved.

Hope that helps!
          gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
          X