Particles intermittently disappear while rendering via GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particles intermittently disappear while rendering via GPU

Hello! I'm running the latest build of V-ray 5 for Houdini 18.5.408 on a Windows 10 computer with an RTX 2070 Super graphics card.

I'm rendering a very simple/light scene featuring particles that were cached to/are being read from disk--not many, only about 800K of them. When rendering using RTX mode, the particles will disappear on the occasional frame, but reappear on the next frame. The frames where they disappear are consistent, so re-rendering that frame doesn't kick it back into action. However, if I render using CPU the particles are visible in those frames. Is this just a shortcoming of GPU rendering, and for particles it's best to stick with CPU? (If it is relevant, while it's rendering I will, after a while, get the "num of samples per thread reduced" message, with the number getting smaller for each frame, and it tends to stop rendering after 80 frames. I'd call that a crash, except that restarting the render starting at frame 81 works just fine.) I have a basic V-ray material applied to them (not the point particle).

Thanks for any guidance!

Hi bentway23 and sorry for late reply. Is there any messege in houdini console or V-Ray message window ? Is the problem there when rendering in CUDA mode ?
    Last edited by chakarov; 06-01-2021, 08:41 AM.
    Georgy Chakarov | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com
    georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hey bentway23 ,

I simply wanted to ask if you've managed to figure out the issue on your end?

Best regards!
      gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks for following up! I tried unarchiving that project, but it is far far away so I wasn't able to duplicate the issue. I did just create a simple particle project from scratch and I've noticed that, even when there's not an occasional entirely-blank screen, particles rendered via GPU just flicker a LOT anyway, so I think the ticket is just to render particles projects via CPU.

Comment

Working...
        X