Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HOU-2666] Need Help with trial installation: appears successful, no VRay shelf or nodes present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOU-2666] Need Help with trial installation: appears successful, no VRay shelf or nodes present?

Hi All,

I thought Id give VRay for Houdini a try, so I signed up for the 30 day trial and downloaded the installer.

Ran the installer... seemed to go ok. For some reason the installation of the material library never came up... per this: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...I/Installation

but ok whatever.

After the installation window disappeared (I assume it was successful), it opened up my browser and took me to the online license server. It shows an active license for Houdini and Maya (I already have VRay for Maya).

Looks great, I thought.

Started up Houdini. Tried to load the VRay shelf, but hello theres no shelf.

Hit Tab in the objects pane and created a ropnetwork. Went into that, and hit tab again... typed vr and no nodes relating to vray are found.

So it appears the installation was NOT successful. I dont understand what I did wrong here.

My license server is running (as my vray for maya is working just fine).

Can someone help me out with getting this installed?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 02-08-2021, 03:43 AM.

Ok so to get more information, I uninstalled the trial. I then reinstalled it, this time following exactly what's on the youtube installation guide video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYgETvk3JVE

This time, I chose 'advanced'. I accepted the defaults, and when it came time to install the material library, I got an error message:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_houdini_matlib_fail.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1120959

I check the log, and at the bottom here's what it says:

Name:	log.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1120960

So then I just tried copy/pasting that URL which is apparently 404. When I paste it into my browser, I actually get a 403 error saying "Forbidden".

Ok... so I dont know what to do with this. I guess I cant get the material library at this time due to some kind of web misconfiguration, or theres a problem with this installer.

So back to the installer, I just click "continue" since retrying doesnt work.

Name:	done.jog.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1120961

So ok, no material library but at least I can create my own materials so... everything looks good?

Logged into my Chaos Group account, and check my Products. Lists both Maya and Houdini Trial as active. Ok seem good to go.

Checked to see that it actually installed. Yes, a new folder for the Houdini install is in C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray. Awesome.

For giggles, I decided to check my houdini.env file to see if its been updated. Nope.... hmmm well that doesnt look good.

Started up Houdini.

Once again, no Vray shelf. No vray nodes available.

There must be something wrong with this installer? I dont see what I did wrong here.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1120962
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok I solved the problem on my end.

I checked my version of Houdini vs the vray plugin Houdini version, and they didnt match.

I was using Houdini 18.5.563

There is no vray plugin for that exact version. It was either an earlier version, or a newer one. I had downloaded the latest vray plugin (for Houdini 18.5.596).

So I went and updated Houdini to 18.5.596.

Re-ran the vray installer. Everything went fine. Material library installed with no errors. Started Houdini, and was able to enable the shelf. Checked to see if the material library installed, and yes it did.

All good now

Comment

Hey JasonA71 ,

Glad to hear you got things working.

Best regards!
        gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

This seems to be a very common issue in this forum. I wonder if it would be possible for the V-Ray installer to confirm that the Houdini and V-Ray versions are compatible?

Comment

Hey Dubbie99 ,

That sounds like an excellent idea. I'll check with the development team to see if it would be possible to implement some sort of warning.

Best regards!
            gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
            X