Unstable IPR behavior.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable IPR behavior.

My vray (current version from the download page for Houdini 18.5.759) crash all times when I use slider to change parameters of light/camera under IPR(CPU/CUDA). The older version wasn't this unstable. And sometimes it renders blank when I turned on depth of field. I need to change F number in the camera node a bit for it too work again.

And It also crashes in a bad way which just freeze the software with 100% processors usage without any warning. It happens on all my computers with different spec and drivers. So I guess it is not hardware compatibility related.

Has anybody experience the same? Or is it just me?
    Last edited by tianyi_chen; 23-12-2021, 12:21 AM.

Hello tianyi_chen , I cant reproduce this behavior on my end. Can you share more info?
    What is your OS?
    Houdini python version ?
    Is this happen with every scene or with particular one ?
    Also a hip file with the problem may help a lot.
    Georgy Chakarov | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com
    georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by chakarov View Post
      Hello tianyi_chen , I cant reproduce this behavior on my end. Can you share more info?
      What is your OS?
      Houdini python version ?
      Is this happen with every scene or with particular one ?
      Also a hip file with the problem may help a lot.
      All my computers are in OS windows 10 python 3.7.4 18.7.759

These bugs happen on every scene and all my computers.

Bug 1
      What you need is a camera with vray_physic_camera tab on, some models and some lights.
      Start IPR then stop it.
      Then restart the IPR you will see camera has move to roughly{1, 0, 0} position.
      To fix it you need to change some parameters on the camera.

Bug 2
      Try to change some value on the go when IPR is activated. maybe you can try change diffuse color on a vary Mtl.
      If you move any slider too fast, really changing anything will cause the software to freeze(without any warning/error). The processors(CPU/CUDA/RTX) should be idling as well.

This site doesn't allow me to upload any commercial file. And I am not going to active my apprentice license for this.
      Last edited by tianyi_chen; 26-01-2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Haven't tried that extensively in vray 5 yet, but in 4, moving the camera with IPR rendering often snaps the camera to 0, it's been happening for a long time.

More annoying is that with IPR on, sometimes the scene just hangs, especially if the geometry happens to get updated, and sometimes after a long wait it comes back, sometimes you need to restart Houdini.
        Hristo Velev
        MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
        Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

Originally posted by glacierise View Post
          Haven't tried that extensively in vray 5 yet, but in 4, moving the camera with IPR rendering often snaps the camera to 0, it's been happening for a long time.

More annoying is that with IPR on, sometimes the scene just hangs, especially if the geometry happens to get updated, and sometimes after a long wait it comes back, sometimes you need to restart Houdini.
          Okay, Thanks for the info. I am kind of new to the vray for houdini. But the older version at around houdini version18.5.596 from about a year ago didn't have this issue.

It is quite annoying especially when these two bugs complementing each other. The first one needs me to change parameter during IPR but by doing so I am taking risk to freeze the software.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierise View Post

I do that this issue in Vray 5 - but it's hard to track or replicate. I believe the issue with a camera snapping to 0 is a little better now, or it has not happened in a while but about the IPR hanging, this happens quite a bit and is super frustrating. Also, this happens in very simple scenes like I just with the test geo sometimes.

Comment

Feels like the hangups are happening more with alembics copied to points than other cases.
              Hristo Velev
              MD/FX Lead, Bottleship VFX
              Sofia, Bulgaria

Comment

For me my vray hangs up all the time when I make any kind of adjustment, And the vray log often stuck with the line: "V-Ray: Using adaptive lights ver2".

Comment

Working...
                X