Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *SOLARIS* Memory Leak

Hi,

I'm seen crazy levels of memory growth when trying to work inside solaris with VRay.

Even with a simple scene is using over 200Gb+ of Ram. Ram usage starts out low (ish) then steadily climbs, Doing changes to the stage causes memory to creep up. Using with crag test geo every time you change frame memory usage jumps, quite considerably.

I'm on macOS so don't know if it's platform related, I get the same result on intel and Apple silicon.

I'm using Houdini 19.0.455, latest nightly, macOS 12.0.1.

David.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by daviddeacon; 13-01-2022, 12:19 PM.
    www.lunaranimation.com

I'm seeing something similar on windows where simply thumbling the viewport (not dolly, not zoom) increases houdini's memory consumption by a couple of MB with every turn (it does not happen while. BUT this also happens in opengl and karma and even if vray is unloaded). With Vray rendering, the issue seems somewhat magnified (memory increases faster). Just dropping a pighead into an empty stage show the issue. I see this on multiple machines. Can someone on their machines confirm the same behaviour? A test on Linux would also be good. This seems like something that needs to be reported to Sidefx allthough it seems very odd that they have overseen something like that. Seems to happen in 19, 18.5 and even 18.

Comment

I see this too on linux even with a simple grid

V-Ray for Houdini number:19358 hash:b65e856 from 17 Jan 2022 03:26 (build number:1935
      V-Ray Core 5.20.20 [98c908c8] from 21 Dec 2021

houdini 19.0.455
      linux centos 7

Regards Alexis
      http://goodbyekansasstudios.com/

Comment

Hmm, I guess Solaris has not been used by many so far very seriously (I guess with Karma just coming out of beta this is to be expected). I will be putting together an RFE (for Sidefx) for the windows side of things. I guess it wouldn't hurt to send in multiple REFs for this isses as it is potentially pretty serious.

Comment

The leak is fixed. Sorry for that, was a regression after changing some code...
          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
          Support Request

Comment

Great news thanks, which nightly will the fix be available in?
            www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

ah, ok interesting.

there is an issue with solaris here as well having some memory leaks (or so). I'm seeing this here on multiple machines (on opengl and karma) and even on machines that don't have vray installed at all. Also, I got confirmation from sidefx support that they are seeing this issue as well. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

> Great news thanks, which nightly will the fix be available in?

Available in todays.

> Also, I got confirmation from sidefx support that they are seeing this issue as well. I'll keep you posted.

Good to know, tnx! Well, at least we are not leaking anymore =)
                V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                Support Request

Comment

Working...
                X