Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOU-3029] V-Ray Remaps/Ramps issue

Hi everyone,

We (at GBK) are having an issue with the ramp parameter on 'V-Ray Remaps' on our project.
    We have so far been working with build '52020', '0598092' (refereed to as old build) but recently updated to '52020', '8c7bc47' (refereed to as new build) due to a bug fix with crypto mattes.

Now it turns out that there are a few differences between the builds in regards to how ramps work which is slightly problematic in the middle of production. See screenshot below.

1) When using the remap in 'Remap type to Value', the colour output doesnt work. In the old Vray build the colour output was matching the float output.
    2) The float output works correctly.
    3) If a null is attached after the remap, the ramp stops having any effect.
    4) If plugging a colour input into the same remap node, the output doesnt work (which may be intended)? however, a null after it changes the output value.

Can provide .hip if it helps.

Thanks
    Martin

Click image for larger version  Name:	remap-ramps_screenshot.png Views:	51 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	1145231
    Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 14-04-2022, 11:03 AM.

1. Can provide .hip if it helps -- Yes it will.
    2. Are we talking Solaris or?
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

No Solaris. Just old school vray.

I cant upload .hip extension? Is there any prefered way of sharing files?
      Last edited by martin_aufinger; 12-04-2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

> I cant upload .hip extension? Is there any prefered way of sharing files?

I think .zip is allowed.
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

ah. thanks

file attached. debugremaps_marauf_v002.hip.zip
          google drive link removed

Comment

This same issue was previously logged in early February under ticket 23068 and all the the described issues were provided with example files then too.
            Looks like the last message we received about it said Chaos needed more time to perform tests and then it seems it was automatically closed.

Comment

Hey all,

I'll chip in with some info - as daeschri said, we already know about these and we plan to split the Remap node into two separate "Remap Float" and "Remap Color" nodes to resolve confusion in the future. I'll talk to the developers and get back with more info tomorrow.

​​​​​​​Best regards!
              gosho.genchev@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick update and I understand the longterm plan to split the two. Makes sense.
                However, it would still be great to get a fix for the current issue if possible.

I have two builds to chose from in mid production and both have different issues.

Comment

Hi Gosho.Genchev
                  Do you have any updates on this?

Comment

Hey martin_aufinger ,

I have a build from one of our developers to test the changes. I'll do it later today and get back to you with more info/ETA.

Best regards!

Comment

Great news. Thank you!

Comment

Hey martin_aufinger ,

There are a couple of issues with the new nodes to take care of before we can add them to the nightly builds. The developers are on it - I'll update you again on Monday - I hope I'll have good news by then.

Best regards!

Comment

Hi Gosho.Genchev

Thanks for the update.
                          That sounds like you are already implementing the spit into two separate nodes. I may have misread this as a midterm/longterm plan.

Will there be any backwards compatibility to the old node (ideally in a state where both outputs work correctly) ?

I understand the overall aim is to simplify by splitting it in two which makes a lot of sense but I am a bit worried if the new build would break all assets that use the old node. It would probably prevent me from using the new build on the current show.

Thanks
                          Martin

Comment

Hi martin_aufinger ,

We will keep the old node and simply hide it specifically to keep backwards compatibility. You shouldn't have any issues with your old assets.

Best regards!

Comment

That's great to know. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X