Installing release v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing release v6

Trying to install v6 on Apple Silicon. I've swapped the path in the .json to

{ "INSTALL_ROOT" : "/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Houdini_19.5.435/vfh_home" },

and put both vray_for_houdini_py39.json vray_for_houdini_py37.json in my packages directory (is that right?). I get a V-Ray menu in 19.5.435 (apple silicon) but in the About V-Ray I see:

V-Ray Python 3.9 module is not found!

and if I try to drop down for instance a v-ray light I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "object_VRayNodeLightDome", line 1, in <module>
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py", line 1432, in new_func
    return function(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/objecttoolutils.py", line 494, in genericTool
    node = toolutils.genericTool(scriptargs, nodetypename, nodename,
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py", line 1432, in new_func
    return function(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py", line 1551, in genericTool
    (child, newnode) = createNodeInContainer(container, nodetypecategory,
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py", line 1410, in createNodeInContainer
    newnode = _mapSubnetToNode(parent, nodetypecategory, container.childTypeCategory()).createNode(nodetype name, nodename,
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/houpythonportion/ui.py", line 1119, in decorator
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/hou.py", line 14556, in createNode
    return _hou.Node_createNode(self, node_type_name, node_name, run_init_scripts, load_contents, exact_type_name, force_valid_node_name)
    hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
    Invalid node type name​

Update. I realized v-ray is by default putting it's .json in the houdini application folder. I pulled that and made sure there is only one .json in my $HOUDINI_PACKAGE_DIR pointing to the unpacked archive. I also tried downloading the nightly and tried that. still no go. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks

Comment

Hello corestudio, can you check if those files are actually exist
      /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py
      /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/objecttoolutils.py
      /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/houpythonportion/ui.py
      /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/hou.py

I'm pretty sure you need only one of the json files corresponding to your Houdini python version, that json should be renamed to "vray_for_houdini.json"
      Georgy Chakarov | QA
      www.chaosgroup.com
      georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by chakarov View Post
        Hello corestudio, can you check if those files are actually exist
        /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/toolutils.py
        /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/objecttoolutils.py
        /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/houpythonportion/ui.py
        /Applications/Houdini/Houdini19.5.435/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/19.5/Resources/houdini/python3.9libs/hou.py

I'm pretty sure you need only one of the json files corresponding to your Houdini python version, that json should be renamed to "vray_for_houdini.json"
        Thanks Georgy. Yep, those files are there and the .json is exactly what I have, pointed to the instal location "/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Houdini_19.5.435"

any other help is appreciated. For now v-ray is a no go for us, but I'd love to be able to use it.

Comment

Dear corestudio​, hello.

This is our last workday of the year.
          As a fast advice - have you tried deleting all vray_for_houdini.json files (which you are copy/pasting now) and installing via the .dmg installer?

Best regards,
          TS
          Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
          3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tsvetomira.girginova View Post
            Dear corestudio​, hello.

This is our last workday of the year.
            As a fast advice - have you tried deleting all vray_for_houdini.json files (which you are copy/pasting now) and installing via the .dmg installer?

Best regards,
            TS
            I did yes, but I'll try it again. Thanks, happy new year!

Comment

No worries, we are still online.
              If you want I could take a look in a quick remote session.

Comment

Originally posted by tsvetomira.girginova View Post
                No worries, we are still online.
                If you want I could take a look in a quick remote session.
                Sure, let me know how we go about doing that. I've just tried installing on a third system and get the exact same behavior.

Comment

Okay, let's see what is wrong. Sending you a private message now.

Comment

> Trying to install v6 on Apple Silicon.

VFH doesn't support M1 yet and there are no builds for M1 at the website or nightlies.
                    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                    Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
                      > Trying to install v6 on Apple Silicon.

VFH doesn't support M1 yet and there are no builds for M1 at the website or nightlies.
                      well that would explain it..

Comment

> well that would explain it..

Well, there is no official M1 builds of Houdini anyway.
                        Actually, are you using Silicon builds? Or "normal" x64 macos builds?
                        If non Silicon - then it should work.
                        Are you using installer or custom .env setup? There are example .env/.json files shipped with the archive - you may need to check for new/changed env vars there.
                        For V-Ray 6 for instance you dont need to add python<VERSION> subdir but just "python" and the actual required vray python module will be loaded automatically.
                        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                        Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
                          > well that would explain it..

Well, there is no official M1 builds of Houdini anyway.
                          Actually, are you using Silicon builds? Or "normal" x64 macos builds?
                          If non Silicon - then it should work.
                          Are you using installer or custom .env setup? There are example .env/.json files shipped with the archive - you may need to check for new/changed env vars there.
                          For V-Ray 6 for instance you dont need to add python<VERSION> subdir but just "python" and the actual required vray python module will be loaded automatically.
                          Yeah, intel x64 builds work fine. But the Apple Silicon builds have performance advantages vs running in emulation. Is there any eta or plans for an Apple Silicon native build? We're exploring Solaris and evaluating renderers, at the moment we can only evaluate Karma and Redshift.
                          Last edited by corestudio; 08-01-2023, 10:24 AM.

Comment

So, are there Apple Silicon builds of VRAY 5 or 6 now since there is an official production release for Apple Silicon (Houdini 19.5.534)? Couldn't find any on the nightlies site
                            Last edited by filip_wnstrm; 08-03-2023, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Dear all, hello.

Please be informed about the latest change shared here from Andrei:
                              We've started uploading Silicon builds yesterday, with suffix "_mac_arm64" (V-Ray 6 only).
                              Best regards,
                              TS

Comment

Working...
                              X