Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (open)[HOU-3695]Opacity map artifacts in GPU mode

Hello.

I'm having a problem with a curved plane very close to a cylindrical surface. This plane has mapped opacity.

In CPU mode it renders as expected but in GPU mode some artifacts appear.
    If I offset the plane a little bit from the surface it renders ok so I asume there is some problems with the cutoff distance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GPU.jpg Views:	43 Size:	557.1 KB ID:	1174058 Click image for larger version  Name:	CPU.jpg Views:	31 Size:	596.1 KB ID:	1174059
    Last edited by chakarov; 01-03-2023, 05:03 PM.
    www.gaell.com

Hello gagui I've reproduced and reported the problem, it seems to be caused by surfaces intersecting each other
    Georgy Chakarov | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com
    georgy.chakarov@chaosgroup.com

Comment

But in this case the surfaces are not intersecting in fact they are slightly offset, very close but not intersecting. I could send the scene if it helps.
      www.gaell.com

Comment

I've managed to reproduce it only with intersecting surfaces. A scene will be helpful.
        Georgy Chakarov | QA
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hello Georgy.

Here you have the scene. If you render it with GPU the problem is evident. If you change to CPU it just renders ok.
          Attached Files
          www.gaell.com

Comment

Hi gagui , indeat in your case the surfaces are not intersecting, just really close. Just tested with -0.0003 offset and seems to work fine on my side.
            Georgy Chakarov | QA
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Houdini's default units of -0.0003 is 0.3mm, which is a large gap.

​As I also reported below, it's the GPU's Secondary rays bias precision issue.
              The user needs the same precision as the CPU.

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...bias-precision

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
              oakcorp.net
              v-ray.jp

Comment

Working...
              X