Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Fixed) [HOU-3814] export shader with a map from houdini to 3dmax give scrambled UV on fur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Fixed) [HOU-3814] export shader with a map from houdini to 3dmax give scrambled UV on fur

Hello,

Not sure it's the correct place to post this, but here's my problem.
    As said in the title, I'm currently having an issue while exporting a .vrscene of a material with a map plugged into it.
    Our current pipeline in groom works with Houdini 19.0.657 and we load fur as .abc and shaders as .vrscene into 3dsMax 2023.3. Everything is render with Vray6 (6.00.08 build for Max and 6.00.21 for Houdini).
    Maps from surfacing are loaded in Houdini with a V-Ray MetalmageFile, color is plugged into a V-Ray BRDFHair4 into the dye_color. The shader is then load as a .vrscene into a VRayVRmatMtl in Max.
    But once it's load in Max, it looks like the UVs are scrambled.

left side is from Houdini, right from Max :
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	21 Size:	707.3 KB ID:	1179953Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	1179954​​

I tried various options on the diffuse to see the differences of render in Max, only the option in the tab UV, Type : Projection give something similar (but it's not what I want).

I gave a try re-creating the same shader in Houdini 18.5 and VRay4 and the map appears correctly this time (same groom from Houdini 19.0).

shader from Houdini 18.5 loaded onto the same groom :
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	16 Size:	3.74 MB ID:	1179955

I can provide scenes from each versions if needed. Let me know if you need more informations or if you know about this issue.

Thank you for reading me.
    Last edited by Gosho.Genchev; 05-05-2023, 01:36 AM.

Well, the issue comes from the fact that in Houdini/Maya UV channels are name based, while in 3dsmax all channels are index based.
    You need to set "First channel index" to 0 (https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAX/VRayProxy) at the VRayProxy node loading the Alembic file.

> I can provide scenes from each versions if needed.

If this won't help, yes, the scene files may be helpful to figure out a workaround for you.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

I've should said it the first time, but it's our temporary solution. But, forcing to the first map reorder this order and we're loosing our pRef information.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	vraymat_2.gif
Views:	214
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1179972

A zip file is uploaded with our Houdini and Max scene.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I'll check what could be done, tnx!
        Support Request

Comment

Alright, I've made some changes to the V-Ray for 3dsmax and todays nightlies (and stable nightlies) will render vrscene materials with Alembic without a need of any adjustments.
          Could you please check if it works for you?
          Support Request

Comment

Works great on my side!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	999.0 KB ID:	1180938

I've used VRay 6.00.21 and 6.10.09 build if anyone else meet the issue. Thank you for your help.
            Last edited by anais_martin; 16-05-2023, 06:35 AM.

Comment

> Works great on my side!
              > Thank you for your help.

Great! Always welcome
              Support Request

Comment

Hello
                Thanks for helping.
                Do you have any ETA for the next release ? I'd like to wait for a stable version instead of deploying a nightly build
                http://tatprod.com/

Comment

> Do you have any ETA for the next release ?

The change is included in the "stable" nightly builds (https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vrayma...ble/stable_6.1 and https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vrayma...ble/stable_6.0).
                  Those builds are basically release builds with minor additions/fixes like this one.
                  Support Request

Comment

Working...
                  X