Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please fix VFB crashing in Houdini Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please fix VFB crashing in Houdini Linux!

I have the frame buffer crash on me multiple times a day in Houdini on Linux. Please - pretty please with a cherry on top - fix it.

When it crashes it either does so upon opening or when moving / resizing the window even in a blank scene - see screen capture in the link below. This then usually happens 5-10 times in a row before it finally comes right again. When it does stop crashing it will freeze Houdini at least once. Only then, if I'm lucky, I can carry on working.

Thanks
    Peter
    Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

It's usually good to know:
    1. VFH build version.
    2. Your OS type (I mean your exact Linux version)
    3. On the video there is Houdini window popping up with the crash log location - it could be helpful to see this file.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer View Post
      It's usually good to know:
      1. VFH build version.
      2. Your OS type (I mean your exact Linux version)
      3. On the video there is Houdini window popping up with the crash log location - it could be helpful to see this file.
      1. V-Ray for Houdini hash:5ae868e from 10 Jun 2023 21:20
      V-Ray Core 6.10.09 [82144095] from 5 Jun 2023​
      Houdini 19.5.605

2. Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon - version 5.6.8 - Kernel 5.15.0-82-generic

3. See attachment. It's the log from the capture. Oddly there are always these svg files in there.

Thanks
      Peter

Attached Files

Comment

I don't see any V-Ray code involved, at least in this crash log.
        If we could arrange a remove access session it'll be great.
        If you could double check that it crashes with some recent nightly it'll be also great.
        Support Request

Comment

I'd just like to add that also when I re-arrange my screens - either reposition them or switch from one to two screens or vice versa - and then open Houdini again the VFB is guaranteed to crash 90% of the time. Usually resetting the VFB position stops the crashing but will freeze Houdini. After that it's usually fine. Another thing that will most like cause this is adding an additional ROP or duplicating an existing one.

Comment

I don't see any V-Ray code involved, at least in this crash log.
            If we could arrange a remove access session it'll be great.
            If you could double check that it crashes with some recent nightly it'll be also great.
            Will check nightly. Thanks

Comment

Is this the latest build? I'll let you know how it goes.

V-Ray for Houdini number:22528 hash:aa5d38d from 02 Oct 2023 21:48
              V-Ray Core 6.10.20 [b1a7ffe9] from 2 Oct 2023​

Comment

> Is this the latest build? I'll let you know how it goes.

The current latest nightly is here: https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vray6h...ghtly/20231007
                If you don't have access you'll have to request access through the support.

Btw, is Linux Mint 21.1 compatible with CentOS 7/8 and/or VFX Platform?
                Support Request

Comment

The current latest nightly is here: https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vray6h...ghtly/20231007

It should be. At least everything else is running without issues (Houdini, Redshift, Resolve). It's also only the Frame Buffer that behaves like this. Once it's rendering it's fine. Batch rendering also works. It opens a ton of VFB windows but that doesn't seem to phase it.

Comment

That's where I got that one from.

Comment

It's worse now. It doesn't crash but it'll just freeze Houdini. The VFB still works and renders but the rest of Houdini is just frozen now.

Comment

> It doesn't crash but it'll just freeze Houdini. The VFB still works and renders but the rest of Houdini is just frozen now.

Works fine for me on CentOS 7/8 and Rocky Linux 8.7.
                        I hope our QAs could try reproducing this on your Linux version...
                        Support Request

Comment

> It doesn't crash but it'll just freeze Houdini. The VFB still works and renders but the rest of Houdini is just frozen now.

Works fine for me on CentOS 7/8 and Rocky Linux 8.7.
                          I hope our QAs could try reproducing this on your Linux version...
                          Cinnamon related?

Comment

I rolled back to the latest official release. It initially hung once but for now it seems fine.

Comment

I've installed Mint 21.1 at my vmware workstation, no crashes for me...
                              If you are up for a remote session please drop me a line at the email in my forum signature.
                              Support Request

Comment

Working...
                              X