Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houdini Crash to desktop in IPR

Hi,

The specific crash we would like to address is connected to rendering with IPR and scrubbing the timeline.
    This should be easily replicated by creating a cube a camera and a VRay ROP. When you start the VFB and start a IPR rendering and then scrub the timeline back and forth we get a crash to windows desktop without any crash windows etc.

Windows 10 64-bit
    Houdini 19.5.682
    V-Ray 6.10.09

Hello Marcus_C

I tested the described set up and it seems to work as expected on our side: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_08-43-13.mp4

Would you share with us a screenshot of V-Ray > About V-Ray menu?
    Also, did you make any change prior the beginning of the crashes? Updated a software, replaced a hardware?
    Does this crash happen with every set-ups or just with specific scenes?

Comment

Dear Marcus_C, hello.

How often are you experiencing this crash? On every opening or from time to time?
      Maybe we need to perform more attempts in order to catch it...
      As Viktor requested, please paste here the information from About V-Ray menu.

Best regards,
      TS
      Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
      3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post
        Hello Marcus_C

I tested the described set up and it seems to work as expected on our side: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_08-43-13.mp4

Would you share with us a screenshot of V-Ray > About V-Ray menu?
        Also, did you make any change prior the beginning of the crashes? Updated a software, replaced a hardware?
        Does this crash happen with every set-ups or just with specific scenes?
        Hi again,
        This specific issue happens with every Houdini scene, that's why we can test it with an almost empty scene.
        I wanted todo some more tests with different Houdini/VRay versions before getting back to you on this specific issue.

I've tested some more combinations, and going back to Houdini 19.5.435 with (
        V-Ray for Houdini number:22276 hash:74edd4a from 07 Feb 2023 01:59
        V-Ray Core 6.00.21 [ba98e77e] from 3 Feb 2023​
        )
        works fine when scrubbing the timeline, so no issues there.

I also wanted to test a installation of Houdini 20.0.506 with (vray_adv_61009_houdini20.0.506_1ff6d23_22581) same crash there, but this time I got crash window in Houdini reporting "segmentation error 44652".

And lastly I upgraded VRay for Houdini 20.0.506 with the latest stable build (vray_adv_61009_houdini20.0.506_eee8467_22595), and in this version of VRay scrubbing the timeline seems to work fine, I get no crash.

So maybe we should test installing vray_adv_61009_houdini19.5.682_eee8467_22595, and see if this helps for our current Houdini version.

We've been having other issues for quite some time with the Houdini UI freezing and hanging when using the VFB, resulting in us having to force quit Houdini. These issues are harder to reproduce though and involves more heavy/complex scenes.
        I'll get back on this once we have more input on these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus_C View Post

So maybe we should test installing vray_adv_61009_houdini19.5.682_eee8467_22595, and see if this helps for our current Houdini version.
          Hello Marcus_C We would kindly want to ask you if after installing build 22595 the situation has normalized?

Comment

Originally posted by viktor_angelov View Post

Hello Marcus_C We would kindly want to ask you if after installing build 22595 the situation has normalized?
            Hi, I will check this tomorrow after some upgrades and get back.

Comment

Hi, We have started having crashing issues to do with the VFB

A couple of things can trigger it, but moving the vfb window is a pretty reliable way to get it to crash.

We are on Rocky Linux 9.1

This is the dump from the console, it doesn't mention VRay, but is def trigged by things happening in VRay.

Code:
              AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
              AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHand lerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
              signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
              UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler::operator()(int, siginfo_t*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
              UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo_t*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
              __GI___sigaction <libc.so.6>
              UI_Queue::bumpQueueCounts(UI_Event&, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
              UI_Queue::processNextEvent() <libHoudiniUI.so>
              UI_Queue::drain() <libHoudiniUI.so>
              UI_Queue::eventLoop() <libHoudiniUI.so>
              main <libHoudiniUI.so>
              __libc_start_call_main <libc.so.6>
              __libc_start_main_alias_2 <libc.so.6>
              main <houdini-bin>​
              Things we have tried:

Moving to the latest production build of Vray
              Starting Houdini with none of our code, just plain Houdini and Vray
              Udgrading to Houdini 20

Still getting the crash.

Do you think it is worth us trying the latest nightly?

Comment

Hi Dubbie99​,

Have you noticed any crash notifications when closing files (with or without Saving changes)?
                Quick test will be to open a new or existing file, run a render and then close it.

Waiting for your answer.

Comment

Hi tsvetomira.girginova

No, We have not been seeing crashes on close.
                  For me it has been when changing timeline, or moving the VFB window.

Comment

Hi tsvetomira.girginova​

I am wondering if anyone has looked into this at all?
                    Is it worth trying the latest nightly?

R

Comment

> I am wondering if anyone has looked into this at all?

I've tried it and it doesn't crash for me in the described scenario...
                      V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                      andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                      Support Request

Comment

Did you try on rocky linux? I am wondering if it is some sort of library incompatibility.

Comment

I have Rocky Linux 8.x.
                          Make sure your Houdini compiler ID is matching V-Ray (e.g. if Houdini installer has gcc11 in name you have to use VFH build with gcc11 in name).
                          V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
                          andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
                          Support Request

Comment

Same problem here,houdini crash when moving VFB or open /close side bar,even when not ipr rendering sometimes.here are some info and screen shot.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dear all, hello.

Please test the latest changes made by Andrei, already available in our latest nightly builds: https://nightlies.chaos.com/main#/vr...ghtly/20240316
                              elisa_christie, if you are not seeing these builds, please share and I will request for you the needed access.

Best regards,
                              TS

Comment

Working...
                              X